Sign in to follow this  
suncoast

Rods Reels, Line And Knots...(Sort Of A Poll)

I have really only been seriously saltwater / flats fishing for about a year and a half and a lot of equipment choices have been somewhat trial and error.  Most of the first year was strictly kayak.  I recently bought a boat so my options have expanded a bit.   I started out using 4000 and even 5000 size reels and quickly realized they were heavier than needed.  I have settled on the 3000’s as a comfortable size.  I kept rods to 7 foot or less due to convenience in the kayak.  I originally used 10 pound braid with a 20 pound  flouro leader and eventually moved up to 15 on the braid after a number of break offs.   I taught myself a number of knots and finally settled on a couple that I find easy to tie in a breezy kayak when I need to.

I searched the site a number of times and found opinions and comments on some of these points but not all.  It occurred to me that a single comprehensive thread  that listed the choices of those members with longer experience on these points, in one thread, might be a useful referral source going forward.   Especially for those looking to set up for the first time

Here are the parameters: 

Flats and light near shore fishing on light to medium tackle in either a kayak or boat.

Here are the points:

Preferred braid weight to leader weight

Preferred reel size

Preferred rod length and strength

Preferred leader to line knot

Preferred lure to leader knot

I didn’t mean to make it overly complicated but I kept thinking of useful points while typing..  If you are interested in chiming in, answer the ones you want

I will list for both open flats and / for fishing around docks or near mangroves as I do a reasonable amount of the later.

Preferred braid weight to leader weight - Line 10-15lb / 20-30lb Leader 20lb / 30-40lb

Preferred reel size - 3000 / 4000

Preferred rod length and strength - 7' ML or Med / 7' Med or MH

Preferred leader to line knot - Triple Surgeons knot for most applications

Preferred lure to leader knot - Canoe man Loop knot for all lures / clinch knot for bait hooks

I echo Mike's reply.

The only difference for me is the length of rod. Mine are all 7'6". Reasons: the extra length is better for fighting fish around and under the kayak when you need a little more reach and I'm more comfortable with that length.

I'm not the best knot guy so I stick with a killer little knot that I learned on TOF. Unfortunately, I don't know what it's called. If I can dig up the post I'll mention it.

Thanks for getting things started guys.  I just realized I did not mention knots in my opening post.  I started with a modified Albright and then a Uni to Uni.  Both worked great but were not the easiest to tie on the water.  I finally settled on the Triple Surgeons as well.  Never had a failure and I can tie it in the boat in less than a minute. i use the Canoe Man Loop as well for lures but I have also started using it on bait hooks by pulling it tight with no loops.  Again, no failures so far

Preferred braid weight to leader weight - 20# to 20#; targeting big snook 20# to 30#

Preferred reel size - 2500/3000

Preferred rod length and strength - 7'6" or 7'9" medium fast

Preferred leader to line knot - albright knot

Preferred lure to leader knot  - loop knot

This topic has come up numerous times on here... Plenty of info on this site as well as the net in general states all that has been said. But here ya go...

IMO multiple rod/reels set up for different situations is key.

If I am working open flats, there's no need to use more than a 2500-3000 reel with 10lb braid and perhaps 20-30 leader on a light rod with mod or fast action (depending on your style) and length is up to you but longer will cast farther, shorter is more accurate.

If I'm working structure like groves or docks etc, I will use another entire set up that is beefier all around that can really haul fish away from those areas. Maybe 20-30lb braid with 30-40+ leader on a 3000-4000 reel on a med/ med hvy rod with mod action.

It just depends on your comfort level and experience. Like Alex and Cody, they typically don't use anything over 10 braid and 20 leader for most applications and they kill it...

Again- HEAVY structure is a different game. But having combos set up for different situations is the smartest way to go, and knots usually stay the same on the combos.

If you are experiencing break offs on the braid, either step up the braid, tie the knot better, always check the line to leader knot... Any fraying on the braid can result in a lost fish. I retie my line to leader connection at least before each trip and perhaps during the trip. Cut off a few feet and retie..

If you don't, you are asking for break offs. But if you are losing fish below the line to leader knot, up the leader... And always check and retie if needed. If your knots aren't holding, re learn them!

I wade fish but use the same type equipment I used when I had yaks and boats. 

3000 reel

8# braid

20# fluoro

7' ML rod

Uni-to-Uni

Canoeman Loop Knot

If I fished around structure very much I would use heavier line and leader.

Pretty much the same answers as above

On the flats: 3000 reel, 7"6" med, fast, 10lb braid, just depending either 15-20lb fluro leader. In the river & around mangroves I'm using a 4000 reel, 7ft med, 20lb braid, 20-30lb leader. To tie line to leader I use the uni to uni and the loop knot(canoeman) to lure.

Preferred braid weight to leader weight: Open flats 5#-8#PP/15# Flouro, Structure 15#PP/20-30# Flouro

Preferred reel size: 3000

Preferred rod length and strength: 7' 6" M/Fast

Preferred leader to line knot: Double Surgeons, I double the braid when using 5# or 8# braid

Preferred lure to leader knot: Canoeman loop

Preferred braid weight to leader weight - 20# to 20#; targeting big snook 20# to 30#

Preferred reel size - 2500/3000

Preferred rod length and strength - 7'6" or 7'9" medium fast

Preferred leader to line knot - albright knot

Preferred lure to leader knot  - loop knot

When I used spinning reels these were my choices, but I use a slim beauty for my line to line knot.