Sign in to follow this  
mikegreathouse

Kayak Paddle Recommendations

I am currently using an aluminum Hobie kayak paddle.

Although it has served me well, I am looking to upgrade to something lighter.

I'm interested in carbon fiber, but would not rule out any other options.

I'm looking for a mix of cost effectiveness, functionality, and weight.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I use a Aqua-Bound with a carbon shaft, cost about $150.00. Well worth it when you are doing allot of paddling. The carbon shaft will expand when the summer comes again. This means that it will become hard to take it apart. But you have to take it apart every time you get back and rinse the metal clip off and paddle. So when it gets hot and starts getting hard to get apart, take some sand paper and sand the male end just a little bit all the way around. Then put it back together and try to get it apart again, if it comes apart easy your done. If not sand the male end just a little more and repeat. When done you will not have to ever do it again your set. I got mine at Osprey Kayaks. Good luck! 

IMO, you will not go wrong with a full carbon paddle from Werner. I use their Camano model...it's light, strong and delivers a powerful stroke. Another good carbon paddle at a lower price is the Aquabound Stingray. They also have a hybrid Stingray that the shaft is all carbon, but the blades are plastic to cut down on cost.  I have all three paddles, but the Werner is always the one in my hands.

I use an Aqua Bound Manta Ray full carbon. I got it from Amazon recently for $189 w/ free shipping. It's like night and day compared to my old Carlisle Day Tripper (aluminum shaft). The thing I like best about the AB is the cam lock that they use. It is fully adjustable up to 60 degrees in either direction and there's no play or wobble in the fitting.

I would recommend you go to Bill Jackson's to see if they'll let you test paddle a few different types. It's like buying a kayak, it's very personal. What I like may not be what you like. Either way, lighter is always better.