Sign in to follow this  
mxbeebop

Mullet Flies

Guys those flies look sweet and all, but I just can't picture them actually sinking more than a couple inches when fished.  I haven't ever used Fox brush, but I've tied very similar looking mullet/baitfish imitations using EP fiber, congo hair, even craft fur, and even when I tie them really sparse, like 1/4 the fibers in the flies pictured in this thread, the flies lay on the surface and take a while just to sink a couple inches and be fishable.

Honestly I've never even had a hit on a fly that did not utilize lead eyes of some sort to get the fly down at least a foot and allow it to have some action on the strip.

I promise I love tying cool looking baitfish flies, but all my darn fish have come on a bonefish slider or a chartreuse/white clouser, both with giant lead eyes.

Also tomorrow starts 2.5 weeks of vacation and I'm going to be fly fishing all over the bay instead of the usual Cypress park.  Maybe hit Anclote on the fly early friday morning if anyone is down.

Carlos, you must be fishing some deep water. I like to fish skinny water and sight fish. The flies pictured above are made to land softly on the surface and get down quick. The flies I tied pictured above run 6-12" below the surface with a steady retrieve. You can pause for a while and let the fluro leader get your fly down further in the water column.

^^ what Ron said! Plus you can always use a heavier hook. After breaking a few thin wire hooks, which resulted in losing a couple slob reds, I won't go back.. I use SL12, SL12S, SL15 size 2 or 1/0-2/0 that are solid and can get my flies down just fine in most areas I fish. But like Ron, I fish in water mainly 2' and less. Of course lead eyes are needed when needing to get that fly deeper.

Carlos, you must be fishing some deep water. I like to fish skinny water and sight fish. The flies pictured above are made to land softly on the surface and get down quick. The flies I tied pictured above run 6-12" below the surface with a steady retrieve. You can pause for a while and let the fluro leader get your fly down further in the water column.

I almost always wade, so max depth is maybe 4 feet with most of my time being spent fishing between 1.5-2.5 feet of water.  Quite possibly I am just giving these type of flies the wrong action.  When you say steady retrieve are you just stripping it in a manner where it does not change it's position vertically very much?  Like I said my limited success on the fly has been experienced with flies that basically drop a 6 inches to a foot between strips, almost like jigging with spinning gear.  Any type of steady retrieve with weightless flies has been ignored and I imagine it's because the fly looks like a random piece of trash gliding along lifelessly lol.

^^ what Ron said! Plus you can always use a heavier hook. After breaking a few thin wire hooks, which resulted in losing a couple slob reds, I won't go back.. I use SL12, SL12S, SL15 size 2 or 1/0-2/0 that are solid and can get my flies down just fine in most areas I fish. But like Ron, I fish in water mainly 2' and less. Of course lead eyes are needed when needing to get that fly deeper.

You know I have been trending towards smaller hooks lately, I'm going to tie a minnow with a heavier hook right now to see it helps.  As I said above it's probably me working the fly wrong and not having any confidence in it's ability to get me fish.  

Do you all have a preferred epoxy for the eyes?  I have some 5 min mix but I think I'm going to grab the UV stuff soon.

I would go somewhere that you can water test your flies to see how they react in the water like a pond or something. I actually will try differnt retrieves until I find how the fish wants it. Nothing beats watching a fish come up and destroy your fly!!

The best glue that I've found for eyes is E6000. I've tried just about everything else and nothing holds on eyes better than this stuff. You can find it at a craftstore or walmart for around $6 and it will last for ever. This stuff holds better than superglue.