Sign in to follow this  
abm5926

Backcountry 1/15

Me and cody s hit up some backcountry yesterday before the front. It was cold and rainy but we stuck it out and caught TONS of snook. Most were small but we both got some in the 20s. The main target was tarpon but we couldn't get them to eat. I need my poonani fix bad, I haven't caught one in a few months now. But it was a fun day in the kayaks, and always fun to fish with cody. Here's an almost slot fish that literally almost jumped into Cody's kayak haha. He put up a great fight for his size.

post-169109-0-96682200-1421427519_thumb.jpg

Nice report and snook dude!! The snook bite has been on fire when it's on. That tarpon I caught yesterday was the 1st one for me in a few months. It's a struggle trying to get them to eat in the winter.

Those poons are picky! We saw probably 30+ tarpon roll. Mostly in the 5-10# range. There were times when groups of them would roll at the same time right in front of my kayak. Super frustrating to put a fly right where it needs to be and not even get a strike from one haha

Thanks guys, yea I just think the poons have been super lethargic lately with cooler water. I was using my go to EP tarpon fly that i've caught most my poons on and they just werent having it. I did get a few hits when I casted to rolling fish but I'm thinking they were gar. Lots of them in this spot.