Yes there are secret spots. I have plenty and are only known by a small circle who won't put them on blast or fish them out. Also, it's not just the internet that ruins spots- If someone asks "you catching anything?" while you are fishing a good spot your answer should always be "nah" "nope" or "no". End of conversation.

Some spots may not be super secret but not many people fish them and that's fine with me. You post a good spot on the internet you will have 5+ guys in kayaks chucking gulp shrimp there the next day. Guaranteed.

Thanks Gus, yes I'm pretty familiar with WI... I'm not a fan.

Yes I fish SJS, it pretty vast, but I bet you couldn't find me even on a super slow (boat traffic) day.

And that's the point.

I was out yesterday and was talking with a guy about this very topic that he brought up. How he was born and raised here and has fished all over the Bay Area and watched it all go down hill over the years. And yet it's funny that he said, this area right here has always been a pristine, uncrowded (we were the only two within 3-4 miles) area, and there's always fish..... And he told me he's never told anyone about it.

I've only lived on this coast for 10 years and there's a TON of areas I have not fished, and it took me quite a while to explore this area I fish and kind of, just barely have figured it out. And that's in 10 years! Exploring, learning the flats, holes, water movement, etc. Yes I used and still use google earth as a detailed tool to find good looking area to work, but I sure didn't read your post of WI and go to the 3rd mangrove, kind of approach LOL. I worked hard, so if you were me would you seriously tell the Internet exactly where it is?

Phil, I never said that anyone should reveal their secret spots. I read posts for entertainment not to try to spoil anyone's spots. I live in Trinity and I go out of my way to Barracuda Bob's in your area and drive to either Tarpon or Tampa to fish. And you are totally right I wouldn't be able to find you cus I don't fish that area. Not really interested. I think most people get comfortable with an area and try to explore it just like you did. I've lived in Florida for 35 years and have seen what over fishing does to an area. Hopefully the people fishing these areas are educated in conserving these resources so that my kids can enjoy catching a fish there.

I have been "verbally Insulted,assaulted, and accused" after posting on this very website which led me to stop posting, and commenting. But I still would peruse the forum for info. So I dont think every one is out to harm but I am sure some are. Its too bad I had to learn the hard way or maybe not, lessons are always good if you learn from them. Thanks for helping some, I hope , to not have to go through it the hard way. you get an A+ sir!

I'm really glad you brought this topic up Alex.

Phil and I were just talking about this a week ago. I wanted to make sure I didn't over step when a posted a sarcastic response to a new new member who pointed out exact locations of fish.

This is an excellent site and people are will to help each other. The tips and feed back are second to none. But I agree, looking at the areas you want to fish, spend time one the water, keep a note book of locations, tides, weather conditions and lures/baits used are the most satisfying ways to increase your knowledge.

That being said, I have used a guide to shorten my learning curve in a new area. Good guides can be a great asset to an angler. But I don't post the spots we were in!