arti-6

Deep Woods!

Photos from trips with Roger and Pat. Tons of snook were caught on monster 3x shrimp and my hand tied flies. We've been focusing on the negative low tides and getting on a crazy snook bite when they are bunched up. We have been hooking up with so many fish that we've have been losing count. Such a killer winter already. This is some of my favorite fishing.

post-169871-0-00862600-1421707589_thumb.jpgpost-169871-0-24274900-1421707635_thumb.jpgpost-169871-0-68527200-1421708201_thumb.jpgpost-169871-0-31072300-1421708273_thumb.jpgpost-169871-0-25658500-1421708343_thumb.jpgpost-169871-0-14362600-1421708644_thumb.jpgpost-169871-0-36649400-1421708677_thumb.jpgpost-169871-0-83500800-1421718997_thumb.jpg

post-169871-0-98355400-1421708463_thumb.jpg

SO nice to see a healthy Snook population.  I have had some nice Snook  success with Monster 3X Paddletails too.

Thanks Mike and I have had good luck on reds and snook with the monster 3x paddle tails. Really killer baits.

Good one Cody.  Thanks for all the snook pics Ron.   

What do you look for on the negative lows when you find them stacked up?  Not enough water under docks or most mangroves when the water is low like that - so what type of spots are you finding them congregated in?  Has the end of the outgoing or the beginning of the incoming been better for you when fishing for snook around the low tide?  

The end of the outgoing and the beginning of he incoming have been a good bite. Things to look for during winter are dark mud bottoms that provide heat, warmer water, holes that are deeper than the surrounding areas, and most times you will spook a few fish a see those dead giveaway A-wakes. Flies and artifical lures are best with a slow and low retrieve.

Ron, you guys are doing good with the snook, but  you have to figure out why your losing so many large snook at the boat. Next report we want to hear, good day no lost fish. LOL! Kidding Ron, lost fish part of game.

Nice job fella's. I actually landed a redfish and two snooklets this past Saturday in my river spots with the smaller monster 3x shrimp in rootbeer color. This was the first time I really worked them hard after nothing else seemed to be producing. Also had a quality slot snook pull the hook on me with the 3x as well. They certainly moved up a notch in the tackle bag and the action is close as an arti gets to a shrimp IMO.

When I met up in the morning with Ron, the air temperature was 46° and the water was cold, while loading his Gheenoe into the water at the spot. If it was up to me I would have waited til the mid afternoon for things to warm up a bit. Good thing it wasn't up to me that morning. Did I mention the water was cold ? Placing the trust and faith in my brother forum member Ron, he definitely put us on the bite. Fishing days like  this, definitely shows that Ron has put in his time into learning the area, and that just doesn't happen overnight. Thanks for the outing Ron. Forget the fishing spot map area, I say we get Capt. Rick Murphy from sportsmen's adventures and do a exclusive fishing show at location with Ron. It will definitely be a hit.           B)

Always fun fishing with you Pat. It sucks that we both didn't land most of the fish that came unbuttoned but that's fishing. I lost a solid snook before sunrise and right afterwards Pat landed that snook in the photo.

One of the coolest eats was a fish I put Pat on in some skinny water with super tight quarters and it was sight fished to boot. We spotted the massive wake and Pat made a perfect cast which got hammered and that fish went nuts but unfortunately came off at the last minute.

Nice job fella's. I actually landed a redfish and two snooklets this past Saturday in my river spots with the smaller monster 3x shrimp in rootbeer color. This was the first time I really worked them hard after nothing else seemed to be producing. Also had a quality slot snook pull the hook on me with the 3x as well. They certainly moved up a notch in the tackle bag and the action is close as an arti gets to a shrimp IMO.

Nice Josh! Keep using them and they will continue to produce for you. Are you finding any big jacks back in your area?

I've had good luck with the small shrimp from skipping them under docks for reds & snook.

Ron - I figured those things were what you would say - but just thought I'd ask and let you have a chance to tell for everyone's benefit.  

I have lost 2 good snook in just over a week - so yea - there's a lot of that going around - LOL.

And to totally confirm what you said about artis and slow retrieve - In the last 3 weeks - I have not caught 1 snook using pinfish, grunts or shrimp even when I know I am on them.   But have caught a few (and lost a few) using a 3x paddletail on a jig head - bumped slowly along the mud bottom.  They always hit it on the drop after I bump it then let it sit for a second.  And they won't hit it on a faster or steady retrieve.

Keep up the good work.  I would watch your winter snook fishing show Ron  :)

Thanks Mike. Yeah losing snook always sucks! Also, I don't think I mentioned this but I've been using 30lb leader for snook and it hasn't had an effect on the bite but that also depends on water clarity.

Haha, no fishing show for me. I still have TONS to learn but enjoying gaining experience everytime I'm on the water or wetting a line.

Thanks Barry and Pam! Barry, when are you gonna be able to get back in the water? The water is still pretty chilly.

I'll fish in cold water (but ONLY with waders. lol). If I weren't involved in so much stuff I would fish any day I could.