Sign in to follow this  
mxbeebop

Leader Formulas

Been a little slow in the fly section, what kind of leaders are you throwing?

My Recipe for winter:

Butt Section: 4' 40lb SA Fluorocarbon
Mid Section 1: 2' 30lb SA Fluorocarbon
Mid Section 2: 2" 20lb SA Fluorocarbon
Tippet: 18-24" 14lb SA Fluorocarbon

Around structure or when there are snook around I add a 20lb shock tippet
Knots: All Blood Knots except for the fly line to leader, I use a perfection loop and tippet to fly, I use a Canoe man knot

I have a hard time turning over weighted crab patterns without a taper. Would I go out of the way to buy all that material if I didn't already have it for tarpon leaders, probably not. I'd probably run 40#/20#, I like the butt section diameter to be close to the fly line diameter in any case.

Been a little slow in the fly section, what kind of leaders are you throwing?

My Recipe for winter:

Butt Section: 4' 40lb SA Fluorocarbon

Mid Section 1: 2' 30lb SA Fluorocarbon

Mid Section 2: 2" 20lb SA Fluorocarbon

Tippet: 18-24" 14lb SA Fluorocarbon

Around structure or when there are snook around I add a 20lb shock tippet

Knots: All Blood Knots except for the fly line to leader, I use a perfection loop and tippet to fly, I use a Canoe man knot

Same Knots as you, But Ive been using either a straight pc of 10 or 15 OR about 6' of 20lb flouro from flyline bloodknotted to another 6' or so section of 10lb flouro attached to the fly for these reds...  Ive found them to be VERY tricky in my usual spots!  I play with leader poundage a lot when hunting reds... Most often the lighter the better, but can be risky obviously.  Havent really targeted snooks yet this year, but i would do a 30 to 25 to a 30 or 40 for the shock tippet for structure/groves... for flats all you need is 15/20 ish.. let em run and baby them in and have a big bag of luck with you LOL  

I have a hard time turning over weighted crab patterns without a taper. Would I go out of the way to buy all that material if I didn't already have it for tarpon leaders, probably not. I'd probably run 40#/20#, I like the butt section diameter to be close to the fly line diameter in any case.

I agree with the taper for weighted crabs or shrimps... Me and crabs dont get along yet tho LOL

Still need to learn them, im so used to stripping in a baitfish pattern and need to learn to be more patient and "dead stick" some crabs in their faces better.  

I love my seaguar leader, but the price is not advantageous for the entire length of fly leader i use it mainly for the shock tippet section if at all... I use the Vicious flouro... It is good quality and you get a ton for your money, and hasn't failed me yet... now let me go find a pc of wood to knock on real quick haha

I think any brand material will do the trick as long as the segments are of similar flexibility. I will say that the SA tippet material feels like it wants to be straight.(this is not a ref. to 4th ST)

Bahahhahhaa!  good one!  Yeah i agree, but have no experience with SA leader as of yet.  does it lay over nice and tight in the cast?