Sign in to follow this  
preacher2go

Id For Little Green Fish

Throwing the castnet into hydrilla at Moon Lake for grass shrimp and shiners today, I caught two minnows that were very interesting.

Body shaped like a trout, creamy green sides, and distinctive little gold flakes (like you'd see in a poured softbait) all over. These were 2-1/2" long, and very very vigorous.  I tried to take a pic, but the little guy was too hard to hold without injuring him.

The gold flakes were really an eye-catcher.  Anyone know what these are?

I edited the post and inserted a picture off the internet. The ones I caught are colored more closely to an avocado green. The gold flecks on the sides are amazing. Next time I net one, I'll try to put it in a glass jar so I can get a picture without handling and stressing him.

It is either the Goldtop Minnow or there is a Gold fleck Killiefish that I used to catch in my minnow traps in Hydrilla beds and shallow creeks and streams. The Gold Fleck Killi is a beautiful fish. I used to have a natural fish tank with all the local fishes in it. I just bought a 150 gallon tank and will set it up with all native fish. Just have to get the energy to clean all the calcium deposits out of it. Previous owner let it got to hell and never added any water so as the tank water got lower it would leave calcium cabonate scale on the glass.