Sign in to follow this  
southshoreslayer

2015 Pro Redfish Series: Round 1

Yesterday kicked off our 1st stop of the 2015 FPRS. This year we are doing the full tour and if sitting 25th or better at the end of the season heading to Panama City for the championship. E.G. Simmons opend up early for is at 5;45 am and 50 boats launched in a matter of 20 minutes which is a feat on itself. Single file we make the long idle towards Little Harbor. Once we reach the fishing pier we ride by giving out boat # and livewells checked then we sit and wait as the sun starts to peak out on this chilly morning. After everyone was checked the live vest went on, kill switch attached and idled to channel marker 1 and it was go time. The madness of 50 boats balls to the wall is just something that can not be explained. Judging by the start a lot of boats including us were heading far South. We finally turn away from the other boats and the tide was very low and falling. We knew once we ran into this spot there was no running back out until around 11 AM due to how skinny it was.

We finally make it to a small back bay where the water drops off to 2-3' and anything beyond that is 8-13", It was a slow morning but by 11 we had 4 redfish to the boat on Mirrolure Lil Jons but they were all 16 - 17" and that was not going to cut it. We also got 3 trout and 7 flounder. We know reds usually run the same size so we knew there was enough water to get out and we ran 15 miles back up North.

This spot is completely different. Very shallow water ( 12" ) and gin clear water. Once on the flat we were greeted with large schools of redfish you could see  from 100 yards away it was so clear. This created a problem of the fish being beyond spooky and very difficult to even get a lure close to them. I did manage to make a perfect cast that I worked right through the school and my Z Man Minnowz in Houdini got blasted. Watching the fight in such clear water was a sight to see. We got her in the net and she measured 25" and went 5.54lbs on the scale. We spent the rest of the day working this school but with blue bird skies and clear water we just could not manage a 2nd fish so we headed to the weigh in with just my fish.

Out of 50 boats we landed a 25th place finish with just one fish. We also heard at the weigh in my buddy Mike had the back end of his skiff slide out on him and put him in the mangroves. He has a beat up leg but him and his partner walked away. This is in the same spot a guy died last year when the same thing happened.

Round 2 is out of Little Harbor and we will be going hard at it until then and hopefully can get 2 fattys in the boat.

20150207_065113_zpsvzpglwy6.jpg

20150207_151149_zpsye1cjmwu.jpg

FB_IMG_1423418471016_zpsv5nmohsg.jpg

FB_IMG_1423345041457_zpsvqpx5wpx.jpg

Quite an experience, Tony!  The start must have very exciting, to say the least. Nascar on the water. Lol  Congrats on a decent finish.  I have great confidence in your success on this Tour.  Glad your buddy wasn't beat up too badly.  Could heve been much worse.

His back end slid out on him mid turn. 

Good job in the tourney man!  

So here is the question of the day.... HOW IN THE HELL Does the back of a boat "SLIDE OUT" 

????!!!!?????!!!!!

In my experience, that is ONLY caused by driving really fast and turning hard as hell in a boat!  I had a lot of respect for Mike cuz he always gets on SLOB redfish.... Needless to say that respect level has diminished.  And I'm pretty certain that happened in or very near a NMZ or slow speed zone. 

This last comment is not for any ONE person...  It is for everyone....

Please don't be idiots on the water.  It doesn't "just happen"... these things are caused by being foolish. 

He is very lucky he didn't die or severely hurt himself or someone else.

His back end slid out on him mid turn. 

Good job in the tourney man!  

So here is the question of the day.... HOW IN THE HELL Does the back of a boat "SLIDE OUT" 

????!!!!?????!!!!!

In my experience, that is ONLY caused by driving really fast and turning hard as hell in a boat!  I had a lot of respect for Mike cuz he always gets on SLOB redfish.... Needless to say that respect level has diminished.  And I'm pretty certain that happened in or very near a NMZ or slow speed zone. 

This last comment is not for any ONE person...  It is for everyone....

Please don't be idiots on the water.  It doesn't "just happen"... these things are caused by being foolish. 

He is very lucky he didn't die or severely hurt himself or someone else.

It was not a NMZ. He just got this boat and the jack plate was too high when he turned cause it was skinny. When it blew out he lost all steering. I he was running WOT he most likely would not have walked away. I guess " slide out " was not the best term to use. 

It was not a NMZ. He just got this boat and the jack plate was too high when he turned cause it was skinny. When it blew out he lost all steering. I he was running WOT he most likely would not have walked away. I guess " slide out " was not the best term to use. 

Sorry bro, I'm not buying that... This doesn't have anything to do with you man.   I know he just got that boat, and any responsible boat owner would not be doing what he did.  Seriously, you can have the jack plate all the way up and it wont "blow out" or "slide out" IF you are being responsible instead of hauling ass..  I've been on some Saweeeeeet skinny boats that are very capable of running in a foot of water.... a blow out or slide out has never happened.  A Hewes or similar is NOT a boat built for that and he should have been smarter than that.  There is NO way to blow out a ride without going too fast for conditions or boat ability.  Just sayin

Nice job Guys ,You beat half of the pro's on a day with a tough bite. Just keep up that 25th average and your in the championship! I expect you guys will finish better than that though, Good luck on the rest of the Series.

Nice job Guys ,You beat half of the pro's on a day with a tough bite. Just keep up that 25th average and your in the championship! I expect you guys will finish better than that though, Good luck on the rest of the Series.

Thanks! It was good to see you at the weigh in, Mike.