arti-6

Poons!

I got out early this morning on a lower tide to explore a new area and hit some dock lights. The goal was to get some snook at night and then focus on tarpon during the day. I found a few really good lights early on but it was tough trying to cast a fly rod while sitting down in a kayak. Needless to say I blew my shots on the first few docks from getting my fly stuck on the dock. lol.

After getting hung up I moved on to the next light and found some snook that gave me some good follows but just wouldn't fully commit to eating the fly. I spot a nice redfish sitting on the putter edge of the light and make a cast to it and the fly gets crushed but comes unbuttoned after a good hard run.

On to the next dock and I was greeting with a ton of snook in like 1-2ft of water. I anchored the yak and jumped out to wade this dock. There bite was on for the next 45 mins. I pulled out like 25 or so snook ranging from 10"-24" from this dock and surrounding mangroves. By now the sun is starting to rise and all I can think about is getting some poons on fly. I paddled to the area that I knew would hold em and found a bunch of tarpon rolling all around me. I ended up hooking up on the 1st roller I casted at and man was it a great fight on my new 6wt.

Pretty fun morning over all exploring a new area. I ended up loosing that one red, landing 25 snook, and going 1 for 5 on tarpon. post-169871-0-70493600-1426443223_thumb.jpg

Nice....

Great day ah, night...

I'm not nearly talented enough to fly fish. Way past my skill level

Thanks Pam. It just takes a lot of commitment and pratice. I sucked big time when I caught my 1st fish on fly but that first fish was all it took to get me hooked on fly.

Loved the report and pic, Ron.  Great day with lots of snook and a juvi tarpon. I'm with Pam, fly fishing is a bit advanced for me. Unlike Pam though, is the fact that it's hard to teach an old new tricks. Lol

I wanted to get into fly fishing for river trout awhile ago, but I stopped myself because I spend too much on gear with every hobby I get lol. It looks cool...maybe eventually. 

2nd time fishing from the yak, right??? And now you're catching 20+ Snook and hooking up with Poons, all on a fly too!!! Nice report Ron and tight work!

Thanks Tim and yeah it's my 2nd time. I took out our tandem yak this time which was a huge difference in stability. I was able to stand and fish but that only lasted like a minute bc it was super sketchy. I would say that it was kinda like trying to surf and throw a fly rod and the same time. lol

Still tons of fun to get out and catch some fish. I didn't say this earlier but while I was out I noticed tons of bait showing up and the fish were actively feeding. Looks like spring is here guys and the fish are pushing out of their backcountry winter areas. Fishing is about to get real hot.

One more thing...the TARPON are here and I'm not talking micros.

I wanted to get into fly fishing for river trout awhile ago, but I stopped myself because I spend too much on gear with every hobby I get lol. It looks cool...maybe eventually.

T, I have an extra fly setup if you ever wanna come out with me and get on some fish with the long rod. I promise you that it will only take one fish and you'll be hooked.