lonewolf0420

Anyone Use Gopro Hero2?

I haven't used the 2 series, just the 3; however, the difference between them really relies on your planned usage. Do you plan on having a wrist remote, needing night mode, plan on using the smartphone app, or extended time lapse? The relative difference in bell's and whistles between each version has more to do with software than anything else and in my opinion isn't worth it. For YouTube, 720P @ 60FPS is just fine, and you can get that new for $129. With the money you save you can buy Sony Movie Studio and Sound Forge, which are much better than GP Studio.

lonewolf, also look at the Contour Roam 2 or 3. I have the GoPro Hero 4 and Contour Roam 2 ($89)...the Roam is going to be my main camera (only during the day) from now on.

Most of the time it would be used in late afternoon into dusk - Say 5-8pm. The iphone app would be good, but I was more or less looking for somthing with good battery life that I could just turn on and leave going while I fish - Light enough to maybe clip to the front of a hat.

I found some HD Hero2's for like $80

I have/use a GP H2 with a video backpack & waterproof case, of course - no GP remote made for this one.  Also have a H3 with remote & waterproof case.  Have had them for several years and have had no problems with either.  Had a slight problem with the remote not taking/holding a charge but since I purchased from the official GP site, replacement was as easy as a phone call.  Use both of them all the time.

Pick, I'll give you a better review of the Roam once I use it some more. Video quality isn't the best, but of course I'm comparing it to my GoPro 4. Usability is relative. It's simple. Switch on and off. That's it. But you have to change settings via a computer. You can't change modes on the water, which sucks. It also has an internal battery. The sound quality is much better than the GoPro, however. For $89, it was totally worth it.

Are you happy with evening footage? Whats the battery life like for you?

Unfortunately I can't help you with evening footage quality.  I've only used it during daylight hours.  Battery life seems to be fine but that's probably because I don't keep it turned on all day.  The way that I have it mounted, if I hook into something I think I want captured, it takes me less than three seconds to reach over, turn it on, set my mode, and start.  I haven't lost a fish yet doing it that way.  I turn it off after I've released my fish.  And I charge it when I get back home.

The Contour is the best option for mounting on a single point where you can turn it off/on.

You can also rotate the lens 180 degrees so no worries about mounting it upside down, sideways, etc.

I mount mine on the poling platform.  Its quite easy to reach back and flip it on.

Quality falls short of the GoPro but I think the simplicity and form factor is better for certain uses.

In the video below I have it clipped onto the end of a push pole...watch it in HD and you'll see a good example of the Contour in action in average light...

If you're willing to take a chance and are OK with knock offs...there's the SJ4000, SJ5000, and SJ5000+ .

Plenty of [favorable] reviews out there.

Ironically it's a basically a fake gopro and they are making fake SJ4000's now. So look up fake sj4000 too.