rkotinsky

Drag Screaming, Kayak Towing Personal Beast Snook - No Fooling

Did a quick trip after work to hit a new area at the tail end of the incoming tide and then some of the outgoing tide. The first couple hours produced only ladyfish and puffer fish.  Moved on to areas that looked good on google earth and found a very good looking corner with depth, mangroves and oysters.  Worked the corner and edges hard and got rewarded with a drag scream like I never heard before.  To make a long story short, a new personal best by 1".

post-169480-0-75375900-1427970089_thumb.jpg

post-169480-0-78633600-1427939006_thumb.jpg

post-169480-0-30373100-1427939024_thumb.jpg

post-169480-0-12310500-1428072863_thumb.jpg

That's awesome, bro. I've yet to hook a big snook in my yak. I always enjoy your reports and photos. Thanks for sharing.

My last PB was 36"from  Yankeetown, you have them in your backyard!  I have heard of 40" in Yankeetown.

My last PB was 36"from  Yankeetown, you have them in your backyard!  I have heard of 40" in Yankeetown.

Look up Bill Nast on Facebook. I think last fall he seemed to post a picture of one caught everyday. That guy slays Yankeetown

Look up Bill Nast on Facebook. I think last fall he seemed to post a picture of one caught everyday. That guy slays Yankeetown

Yes already follow him, he kills it up there.  Love that fishery.

Awesome snook.  What did you catch her with?

It would make a great story if I told you it was a 15" live ladyfish free-lined on a heavy baitcaster.  However, the truth is it hit a 3" white Rapala!  The hooks started to bend out but I had the drag set just enough to not get spooled and still keep her on.

Always change out the hooks on plugs to 3x or 4x strength. Then you never have to worry about losing a good fish. The hooks that come stock on plugs are garbage.

Good point, if this had been a 40+" snook I probably would have lost it.

Did some research, turns out the saltwater x-rap has 3X hooks!  Explains why I did not lose the fish, however, I have some VMC 4X so I am still upgrading for the 44" that awaits.

I've had the x-rap hooks snap on me before. It sucks but money is put into the lure and not the hooks. The hooks are always the weak point and I've yet to find a lure with stock hooks that didn't need to replaced.