Sign in to follow this  
Tim

Poon Lures

I was thinking of picking up some of those Hogy soft plastics and have a rod rigged with one when I come across them - thinking the 10" pink or white Hogy lure.

Phil came over to my new house last Friday and of course we talked about fishing. I wound up meeting him up at Bar Fly later that night. He said he would let me borrow one of his fly rods to start practicing. Like you told him last Friday, I am about to cross over to the dark side.....LOL.

For big fish in the bay a trolling model DOA Bait buster in natural color is hard to beat. A steady retrieve works best for me and I have jumped fish slow trolling it. On the beach a Fly is best but I've jumped them with DOA shrimp or the XD mirrodine, something you can lead them with and keep it in the strike zone.

I was thinking of picking up some of those Hogy soft plastics and have a rod rigged with one when I come across them - thinking the 10" pink or white Hogy lure.

Phil came over to my new house last Friday and of course we talked about fishing. I wound up meeting him up at Bar Fly later that night. He said he would let me borrow one of his fly rods to start practicing. Like you told him last Friday, I am about to cross over to the dark side.....LOL.

Embrace the power of the dark side, Tarpon are just so awesome on a fly rod.

just jumped a poon last night on a hogy 7" swim bait in bone white. thats what I would recommend with a 1 oz 10/0 barbarian jighead. the 10" eels you're talking about work as well. Can't beat the swim baits though in my opinion, they push so much water with those huge tails.

Jamison, where can you pick up those jig heads you talk about?

I dont know anywhere in the tampa bay area that sells that barbarian jig heads. I ordered mine online, tampa fishing outfitters sells the weedless rig for the big 10" and 14" eels that some people have mentioned

Hogy in pink, Doa bait busters (weight differs for depth). Troll or throw each of them.. And HANG on!

They are crushing big poons in the keys with monster 3X shrimps and xswims too right now!

Nice...black in dark water, white in clear - just bought the pink paddle tail a couple weeks ago. We'll see how it does.

That said live threads/crabs are REALLY hard to beat.

2e1b4f6d-64ff-4560-9d74-69281efb1281_zps