Sign in to follow this  
fishinchick

This Will Be Fun

The topic for the April meeting of our ladies fishing club was "Intro to Fly Fishing".  The Fla Chapter of the IFFF loaned us 20 fly rods to practice casting with, which we spent an hour doing Tuesday evening.  Now 10 of us have decided to paddle out to a sand bar in Ozello and try our hand at actually fly fishing.  I went by Flint Creek and picked up 10 flies, one for each lady.  Should be a fun and interesting day.  I expect at least one out of the 10 should catch something....even if it's just a pinfish, right?  Tried to upload a picture of the 10 flies I bought but I can't get it to upload....sorry....

I did not know that but we're all the way up in Crystal River.  That being said, I'm certainly not opposed to calling them and seeing if we can work something out for a day of instruction.  We really had a lot of fun out there.  There's something about fly-fishing that just puts it in a different class than regular spin cast fishing.  I really enjoyed it....very therapeutic.  Honestly looking forward to practicing and getting better at it.

That's awesome D!!

I'm no pro at casting, but I can get it done pretty darn decent and would be happy to help teach u guys if I get to go fishing in oz!!??

I'm going to come up there anyways shortly to fish, so if u could point me in a direction (as I've never fished up there) we could trade? Lessons for directions LOL

Let me know when you want to come up Phil. Maybe I'll be able to join you if work doesn't get in the way.

90% of the time I head to the back country, but that's just me. A lot less traffic back there.

Let me know when you want to come up Phil. Maybe I'll be able to join you if work doesn't get in the way.

90% of the time I head to the back country, but that's just me. A lot less traffic back there.

Will do Paul! Thanks!

post-215729-0-22133300-1428884039_thumb.jpg

What sand bar did you ladies go to, D?

Was at OZ this past Friday, sandy hook was loaded with boats. FYI, D. There is a lot of mud minnows around to be had. 

Paul, I don't know all of the names of the landmarks out there.  This was our paddle route.  Lots of boats went by us but none were there when we arrived at high tide Sat. morning (9:30) the water was thigh deep for me but I'm only 5' tall so that's not too deep for a normal person.  We had SO MUCH FUN!  I promised myself that for 2015, the first 15 minutes of fishing will be fly casting practice.  

That's awesome D!!

I'm no pro at casting, but I can get it done pretty darn decent and would be happy to help teach u guys if I get to go fishing in oz!!??

I'm going to come up there anyways shortly to fish, so if u could point me in a direction (as I've never fished up there) we could trade? Lessons for directions LOL

Paul - What do the tides look like for Ozello the weekend of May 1st?  If they're good, maybe Phil can come up that weekend.....

There's something about fly-fishing that just puts it in a different class than regular spin cast fishing.  I really enjoyed it....very therapeutic.  Honestly looking forward to practicing and getting better at it.

*lol*

Be careful...several of us here on the board all casually picked up fly rods about a year ago.

Now I would wager that most of us haven't picked up a spin outfit in months and our wallets are all much lighter as a result.

At least four of us fished a tourney on Sat that allowed bait, artificial, or fly to score points...we all went out with fly rods.

LOL Chris.

Yeah fly is NOT the way to go "kill" it unless you are fishing marsh lands in Louisiana for redfish.

My fish count has dropped dramatically since I've been using my fly rods the past year plus. BUT it is so much more rewarding for me to get fish on fly. It's a TON of work but I love it. Blind casting a fly rod all day truly sucks unless you are throwing at a bank that has little poons on it or you know there's some solid snooks there too. Sight fishing is what fly fishing is all about and it's much harder than sight fishing with a spin rod. No, I know that doesn't make any sense right? How does a itty bitty fly with 9+' of light leader spook a fish compared to a lure smashing in the water? I haven't figured it out LOL but man it happens a lot! But it's those times when you do drop that fly on a fishes face and it has no clue and just hammers your fly!!! That is the sickest thing ever IMO! I fish skinny water all the time and I know I could have whacked a ton of fish with spin this past year and a half, but I've stuck with it and am really learning this "tool(s)" in my arsenal. It's a work in progress, but with tons of practice, getting on fish, and having solid shots at that target you or anyone that enjoys sight fishing can do it.

Trust me I miss bombing a spook jr down a mangrove bank or ripping it across potholes LOL.

Trust me I miss bombing a spook jr down a mangrove bank or ripping it across potholes LOL.

I dunno man...that popper looked pretty good on Sat.  

I've got a bag of about 30 spooks from the last Wal Mart blow out.

I think I'm giving them away to neighborhood kids soon.

D

Do not know the name of that bar. The bar called Sandy Hook is out by Mullet Key.

May 2d tides for Oz North

3:09am high tide( 1.3ft. )10:03am low tide( 0.3ft. )3:12pm high tide( 1.6ft. )10:54pm low tide( 0.0ft. )

Major periods

from 12:01 am to 2:01 am and from 12:27 pm to2:27 pm.

minor periods

from 5:56 am to 6:56 am and from 6:59 pm to 7:59pm.

Moon Phase - Waxing Gibbous

Full moon will be on the 3d

coefficient 0h81 coefficient 12h84

May 3d

3:55amhigh tide( 1.3ft. )10:33amlow tide( 0.3ft. )3:54pmhigh tide( 2.0ft. )11:34pmlow tide( 0.0ft. )

Major periods

from 12:46 am to 2:46 am and from 1:13 pm to3:13 pm.

minor periods

from 6:33 am to 7:33 am and from 7:53 pm to 8:53pm.

coefficient 0h85 coefficient 12h86

Both days look good with the incoming. But, if in the back country with the yaks on the incoming....your going to be paddling your @ss off when she really gets rolling in.

My wife took the Fly fishing 101 class at Flint Creek this weekend, good class for $25, most people I saw left with a fishable cast. One thing to consider is over lining your rod my wife was able to load my mangrove with a 9WT redfish taper much easier. The Ladies I saw had a better cast then a lot of the men, guys tend to over macho the cast.

My wife took the Fly fishing 101 class at Flint Creek this weekend, good class for $25, most people I saw left with a fishable cast. One thing to consider is over lining your rod my wife was able to load my mangrove with a 9WT redfish taper much easier. The Ladies I saw had a better cast then a lot of the men, guys tend to over macho the cast.

So true!!!! Finesse will crush over powering every time!

We may be having another neighborhood fishing derby soon.  

If I don't donate them to the kids then I'll probably unload them cheap.

I raided every WalMart in a 15 mile range and loaded up bone and red/white patterns.   :lol: