Sign in to follow this  
powpig2002

Tarpon Gear

Have a 4000 series bait runner.If I load it with 40 lb. braid, will it be enough for tarpon out of a kayak. Have a Medium Heavy rod.

More than enough. Tarpon from a kayak is very different than tarpon from a boat, bridge or pier. From a conventional boat or stationary structure, folks have to play, tire out and then haul a tarpon in and they need a lot of rod, reel and line to do so. From a kayak, you don't need near as much rod, reel or line, as the fish is not running away from you but is instead dragging you along (in a very light and streamline craft). You can literally lock your drag down and prevent any line from escaping. What's more, you may reel your yak closer to the fish as much as you reel the fish closer to the yak. Good luck.

With all do respect, IMO you need to put heat on a big Tarpon. Nothing will stop that first 100+ yard run, I cant see you gaining line back with that reel and no power to run her down. letting it drag you around for an extended period of time might kill it from exhaustion or it may pull you in deeper water where you will never get her up and it may get eaten by a Shark. If your going to use that size reel for big fish be aware of the length of the fight and break her off if you cant leader her fast enough.

Chris is right on! Sure you can try to use that setup if you want but please be respectful of the fish and break it off if the fight goes over an hour which will either kill the fish or the fish will be so worn down that it will be eaten by a shark once released.

Powpig........the reel I have for sale in the Classified Section of the forum would be very good for you, IMHO.  25# drag will help greatly in landing a big fish quickly.  Since you're an active member of the site, I'll discuss price with you.

More than enough. Tarpon from a kayak is very different than tarpon from a boat, bridge or pier. From a conventional boat or stationary structure, folks have to play, tire out and then haul a tarpon in and they need a lot of rod, reel and line to do so. From a kayak, you don't need near as much rod, reel or line, as the fish is not running away from you but is instead dragging you along (in a very light and streamline craft). You can literally lock your drag down and prevent any line from escaping. What's more, you may reel your yak closer to the fish as much as you reel the fish closer to the yak. Good luck.

Alongside your kayak in 15 to 25 minutes and swims away kicking after that. I've caught tarpon from both motorized boats and kayaks and they are very different things. Boat fisherman get long runs followed by long, grueling fights dragging the fish back to them. Yak fisherman get runs and rides but do not have to give away and then take back hundreds of yards of line to/from the fish, again and again and again. When you catch a tarpon from a kayak, you are always either puling the fish back to the yak or pulling the yak to the fish. You are constantly gaining on him. There is much less rod, reel and line needed for the sport of yak fishing than is needed from an anchored boat.

Powpig........the reel I have for sale in the Classified Section of the forum would be very good for you, IMHO.  25# drag will help greatly in landing a big fish quickly.  Since you're an active member of the site, I'll discuss price with you.

Barry, can not imagine casting a 7000 all day. My 4000 is heavy enough. Mostly use it for soaking bait. My main reels are a 2500 and a 3000 both under 7 oz. Maybe I need more exercise on the right arm beside 12oz curls. Thanks