Sign in to follow this  
flyingrooster

My Best Catch Since The Arrival Of Spring!

I, am not a fan of the spring/summer time fishing. I love the 1 on 1 sight casting of slow cruising reds and sheepshead. When the fish get aggressive chasing bait schools and become more active in the spring/summer, I find myself struggling. My problem is I still pole the banks looking for the lowly solo 1 on 1 shots at cruising fish, when they are out, chasing wads of baitfish. I hate warm weather fishing because I'm not fond of blind casting open water flats. I don't like the fast paced presentations. I already miss the relaxed, soothing, super finesse methods required by winter fishing. That being said, here is my best fish of spring, brace yourselves....

post-217822-0-21987100-1429597265_thumb.jpg

Rooster I'm with ya, if I cant sight fish with my Fly rod I don't have much fun. Which is one reason I love Tarpon season so much I get to extend my sight fishing thru till August and if I cant get on the Poons there is always some Snook in the surf around that time.

You shouldn't have to be out blind casting your fly rod even right now. If you know what signs and things to look for out on the open flats you really don't need to blind cast but you will need to put in the time to hunt down the fish. I'm with you and I'm all about sight fishing. You can still find plenty of laid up snook right now to sight fish that are willing to eat flies. I'm gonna be on a mission this year to go get some beach snook on fly.

Keep working those dock lights and they will produce some good fish.

Cute snook btw.

It can be challenging in the warmer months to sight fish at times. I too am not a fan of blind casting with a fly rod, it's a ton of work and can be very frustrating for sure. Knowing areas that hold fish in clearer water is key. There is tons of areas all over the TB area that are very sight cast friendly year round. Use that skiff and explore new areas.

The fish are out and eating hard right now! If your "normal" areas are not producing what you want, twist that throttle and make a run, or launch at a different spot and find those areas that are sight cast friendly. Or..... Text a buddy and let him help you get on them! LOL hint hint