JohnnyBAngel

Fishing Reel Maintenance

Greetings all,

I have seen an issue arise in the last couple of years that relates to lubrication of a brand new reel.

The last 4 brand-new reels that I have purchased came from the factory in an under-lubricated condition.

This applies to Shimano, Penn, Zebco and Johnny Morris reels.

I am suggesting that your next reel purchase should include a 2 hour allowance to disassemble and lubricate the reel.

Any comments would be appreciated.

JohnnyBAngel

Welcome to TOF.

Reels don't last long without proper routine maintenance. As Barry said, over lubricating is not good for the performance of the reel. Most good tackle shops (like Betts) charges around 30 bucks to service a reel and you can count on them doing the right job. My 2 cents

I have taken my reels all over the bay to get serviced over the years.   Keith from minnows to monsters has always been good to me and his prices are awesome.  He will take the time to explain things on the reel and how they work and he will give you an honest opinion if you are in the market for new gear.   Go check him out, he is good peoples.

My Penn Spinfisher V came overvalued to the point it was oozing out of the reel especially the drag. I never rely on a reel mech. Everything you need to know is on alantani.

Most damage is done when fishing saltwater.  I always rinse in fresh water all my reels when I get home from saltwater fishing.  

Watched a lot of youtube videos on proper lubrication maintenance and  took some old Penns apart.  Taking apart is the easy part - putting it back together, that is the challenge. 

I wouldn't risk on 2 speed (more complicated reels).  Just going to take it in for service after this season.