Sign in to follow this  
Tim

2015 Peter T. Assimack Tournament

My buddy Chad asked me to fish this tournament with him this past weekend and of course I was honored to accept the invite - he has fished several times before and has won a couple times as well.

We went to the Captain's Meeting the night before to get all the things we would need. We left there with plans of getting some shut eye and meeting up at 12AM to get ready for the 6AM shot gun start. Well, when I got home, I put on Bay News 9 and you know it isn't going to be a good day out on the water when the meteorologist says to basically stay off the water.....great. Between that and the butterflies I had thinking about the tournament, I couldn't get any sleep. We meet up at 12:30AM and are on the water at the Anclote boat ramp by 2:30AM, cruising down to Clearwater to get bait.

We threw the net over 25 times, but were loaded up with beautiful white bait. We haul butt back to Anclote to check in for the tourney at 6AM - by this time, I have been awake for the past 24 hours. We hit our first spot and there are tons of other boats around. On my first cast, my bobber goes down and my reel makes that noise we all love, but was then followed by that noise we all hate.......tink! Damn, I got cut off.

My buddy and I pulled all of our tricks out of our hats, but just couldn't get any tourney sized fish - we caught some Snook, Reds, and Trout, but we just knew they wouldn't be big enough. We saw a TON of over slot Snook in some of our back country spots, which kind of surprised us a little bit.

We finally got done fishing by 6:30, 1 1/2 hours after the tourney finished. Even though we didn't place, we still held our heads high. We worked our tails off, spent over 15 hours on the water, and still caught some fish. By the time we washed the boat and I got home, it was now 9PM and I was working on being awake for 40 hours.......crazy what fishing does to us, huh??!!??!! I guess it's just a passion that you either have or don't.

I'm looking forward to doing it again next year......hopefully we won't have the windy/choppy conditions next time.

Ron, that's what it's all about, right? If you put your time on the water, it will eventually pay off. It was cool even though we didn't place. I know we'll do better next year.

Mxbeebop, unfortunately, people have taken our bait this way in other instances. Plus, I love going down to these bridges because I was about to say screw the tourney and lets go for these poons blowing up on bait!!!

Phil, I wanted to so badly. I had my Tarpon rod with me, but it was going to be used to try and pull some huge Snook out for the tourney, which never happened....LOL.

I plan on going back to this bridge once I get some lights hooked up in the yak to chuck some Baitbusters and big Bucktail Jigs at the light line.

One poon came up out of the water and scared the snot right out of me. It's so quiet at night there, that when these girls come up, they'll give you a nice scare IMO.