Sign in to follow this  
Johnson

Icelocker Cooler Vs Yeti Cooler

Recently purchased a 60ltr all-purpose Icelocker Cooler and wanted to offer a review of my first impressions.  

Own several coolers and use primarily for picnics on our boat/fishing trips/camping trips.

I cannot help but compare my new Icelocker to a Yeti cooler as they appear so similar, yet are sold at different price points.  

PRO's of Icelocker -

Very affordable.  Solid one piece design of rotomolded polyethylene (same as Yeti).  Let me tell you this thing is indestructible and built for extreme use!  I have used for fishing trips several times so far and seems to keeps catch cool for DAYS.  Molded lid with cup holders (useful whilst fishing) - Injected polyerthylene walls same as Yeti.  Molded handles.

Headed down to Florida next week, may test cooler and let you know how long this thing holds ice for - does that sound of interest?  I think Yeti lasts 3 days, we shall see what happens in the hot sun!

March 2015 paid $200 for 60 ltr Icelocker Cooler via David at [email protected].  (I only spoke with him over the phone and got it delivered, but very helpful)

post-218507-0-97012200-1430244704_thumb.jpg

post-218507-0-00265400-1430244716_thumb.jpg

post-218507-0-74412500-1430244725_thumb.jpg

post-218507-0-96481000-1430244737_thumb.jpg

Welcome to TOF. Are you moving to FL or just visiting? Tell us a little about yourself. We have an "introduce yourself" section on the forum. Looks like a good cooler, are you advertising for them? LOL

Thanks for the welcome Phil, have personally never been part of a forum before, so am excited to share and learn more about products and techniques from like-minded people!  

My family and I divide our time between Ocala and Naples, and thought the ice test in the Floridian heat may be fun and interesting - especially since as Timmy points out Yeti coolers are comparatively a lot more expensive!  

I suppose i am 'advertising' for Icelocker in a way as i think the cooler is great and a good price and want to let people know that are interested, LOL!      

You listed the "pros", which usually leads to "cons", didn't see any(??). I got my Yeti 65 with my boat and love it! Would I buy another? Don't know, but I do love the stability of being able to fish/stand on it without wobbling, Ice retention is great, but none of the big players hold ice for more than 3-4 days if you're opening/closing many times per day. Seems to me like unless you're in timbuk fn' tu and can't access ice for a week it's all a bunch of crap --- how many people are away from the mainland and can't source a bag of ice for a week?

My yeti came with my boat too, and i LOVE it.  I also bought my dad the yeti 65 and he loves that thing too.  In my case, a yeti is similarly priced as a casting platform.  And I use my yeti as a casting platform, except it also makes more room on the boat by no needed extra cooler taking up space...  

theres a reason everyone compares coolers to the yeti...  and why everyone compares sunglasses to costa...  Yeti made the design that everyone else is imitating.  Id like to see in your test how that thing handles your weight and stability and if it slides around on a boat or leaves marks. 

Johnson- did you find any "cons" to the cooler? I think some people would be interested in a honest analysis of what you have found with this cooler in comparison to the massively more popular Yeti.

I mean hell, my freezer doesn't hold ice too long if it is unplugged and open the door often LOL.

I do think that Yeti kinda owns the market and every one copies the design, but yetis are very pricey but are such good coolers. But yet so is Engel, and similar brands. I think it boils down to durability for the money spent. In the years past, before the yeti movement it was pretty common to retire a cooler after a few years due to it falling apart.

Like some have mentioned.... I cannot buy a pair of sunglasses at Wally World that even come close to compare to Costa or RCI shades...

Let us know the cons you found on the cooler in subject and help the people learn something. Or not.

Thanks man

in the end, its a cooler.... id bet it holds ice similarly long as all the major brands right now (yeti/engel).  but thats a great point phil!  yeti started this whole movement of durable long lasting coolers.  All the yeti style coolers are pretty expensive too.  But one yeti will out last multiple $100 coolers from before this movement.  

One con on the yeti i noticed on my dads 65 is that if the ice is at a certain level, it'll suction so bad that you can't open it.  you have to unscrew the drain a little to let some pressure out.  But that goes to show how sealed the sucker is.  ANNND of course everyone knows what a yeti is, so leaving it in the bed of the truck while you run into the store isn't a great idea (i have a lockable roll n lock though.  

You're right Phil - here are 2 cons...

-  No nylon rope hauling handles either side of Icelocker cooler (but included on Tundra 65), molded handles only.

-  No dry goods rack.

Yeti's are unquestionably the market leaders, have a loyal following and are an amazing product and i am not saying anything negative about them!

The cooler I have bought may offer an inexpensive option, which is why I did the review in the first place.

PS.  I don't work for Icelocker and am unsure if they are even an American company.

Thanks.

You're right Phil - here are 2 cons...

-  No nylon rope hauling handles either side of Icelocker cooler (but included on Tundra 65), molded handles only.

-  No dry goods rack.

Yeti's are unquestionably the market leaders, have a loyal following and are an amazing product and i am not saying anything negative about them!

The cooler I have bought may offer an inexpensive option, which is why I did the review in the first place.

PS.  I don't work for Icelocker and am unsure if they are even an American company.

Thanks.

All good Johnson- enough of the cooler thing LOL; so tell us a little about yourself and fishing that you take part in.

I'm good with no handles, the handles are actually a pain in the @#%$# for a Fly angler. The first thing you should do with a Yeti is take off the rope handles and turn the straps around. From the looks of those straps I think you can turn them. Is that the case?

The cooler looks similar to other Chinese made coolers IMO, the OP's cooler is different then the one on their website so I think its an import. Nothing wrong with that in fact I'd like to acquire one for a little Boom Box project I've been toying with. I look forward to hearing your report.

Welcome to TOF

I've been using Nu-Ice.  I use cheaper Igloo style coolers and I honestly can keep Ice in my cooler for an easy 5 days.  Just by putting a marine nu-ice on the bottom and some Ice on top. 

I don't need much Ice at all for day trips anymore.  I regular size nu-ice bag and the ice from my refrigerator/freezer tray last all day.  The Nu-Ice has paid for itself several times over.

Is the Nu-Ice worth the investment?

Absolutely!   

If you spend on average - say $2.50 per trip for ice,  Then a Nu Ice at $25 or so pays for itself in only 10 trips.

I just use 1 Nu Ice and a couple trays of ice cubes from my freezer to keep my drinks and frozen bait good all day.  And when I come back, even after a long, hot day out - the small amount of ice I put in there is still 80-90% intact.   And this is in a crappy cooler. 

I don't keep fish very often, but the couple times I have and didn't have any additional ice, I just threw the fish in the cooler and put the new ice on top of it and the fish stayed plenty cold