Sign in to follow this  
jayfack27

Registering Boat

So the guy i bought my banshee from wrote the price of everything on the title (hull, motor, trailer, yeti, push pole, etc.) as one price.  When i go register it, can i break the price down on a piece of paper and tell them what I really paid for just the hull since the hull is all that needs to be registered (trailer later)?  I just don't want to pay taxes on the huge price of everything when all that needs to be paid for is the hull.  Im worried all they can go by is what is written on the title for it, and not what i tell them.  

this sucks!  its written on the title and signed already.  do you think i could have him mail me a paper bill of sale with a price breakdown of everything showing the hull as being cheaper?  Then they'll take that price instead of the title price?

yeah i know the trailer needs to be registered.  i just meant that he included the trailer price on the title of the boat, and that I'm just talking about registering the hull right now.  the taxes will be insane if i pay the price he wrote on the title.  

It's best to write up a bill of sale for those types of transactions. But I've been screwed like you are and had to pay a ton of tax before... Never again. I just have the seller sign the title with me witnessing it and that's all. and we both sign the copies of the bill of sale. And it's always good to talk to the person before the bill of sale is written about price shown on paper... I always do a BOS in front of the person and we both sign it... Most people will understand wanting to save in not having to pay huge tax, but of course there are the do gooders that think that will give you a one way ticket to hell... LOL

Sorry man, let us know how it goes.

ok so in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation..... i called the dmv and they said it'd be fine if i have him write an itemized bill of sale.  So we can separate the hull, motor, trailer, accessories.  then ill be paying much less for taxes on the hull and trailer.  Freaking sweet because now I'm looking at around 300 verses like 900 to register the trailer and boat.