jayfack27

Breaking In Banshee, But Want Some Poon!

So this has been my first break in 4 years, and will probably be my last little summer break for the next 8 years (dental school starts in july, then i go active duty army once I'm done with dental school).  Im trying to get as much fishing in as possible haha.  

1st trip in the banshee got 2 overslot reds, a slot red, a handful of rat reds, and some slot trout.  LOVE this boat.  Then took the offshore boat out so some trailer work could get done, managed to shoot some cobia, and hogfish.  The cobia were insane.  HUGE schools, not spooked by anything.  

Now I want to try to land a tarpon!  Anyone know any places and want to go after them?  I can bring the banshee down if you know the water well enough that I won't be hitting random rocks since I haven't insured it yet.  I also want to do some fly fishing for reds.  None of my buddies fly fish, so its hard to be the only one who wants to especially when I am still new to it and not that great.  I always just try to stick with what I'm good at so they can catch reds and have a good time.  

I took some videos, but want to try to land a tarpon or catch some reds on fly to get more footage before making a video.  

post-217965-0-81060900-1431277635_thumb.jpgpost-217965-0-79951200-1431277646_thumb.jpgpost-217965-0-10836900-1431277654_thumb.jpgpost-217965-0-74829800-1431277660_thumb.jpg

I've caught 2 rat reds on fly so far, but have only even tried fly fishing maybe 3 times.

Those Reds were caught on zman paddlerz. And mission fishin 1/8th oz weedless jig heads that I absolutely love. Lost my last one and had to go to traditional weedless weighted hook :'(.

Don't know where you are located but the tarpon bite off the beach in anna maria has been hot. They have also been pushing pretty solid schools through north clearwater early morning..

I'm actually moving to Bradenton in July! Wouldn't mind riding down there. I have a place on little gasparilla island too (one island north of boca grande which is crazy for tarpon). I may have to make a fishing trip down the coast soon. ive only tarpon fished once though so I wanna get someone who knows what's up. It's pretty easy in the pass from what we did, but definitely need a full timer on the wheel when it's busy.

Since you posted this in the fly fishing forum are you wanting to fly fish for poon? Or bait chuck?

If using artificials chuck these...

20140608_120537-1_zpsh6abceuk.jpg

Since you'll be in Bradenton just look for the armada off of Bean's point. That's somewhat a goat rodeo, but can be productive. Most fly guys that I've seen will tie up just off the swim buoys and let the fish come to them. Typically just North of the Sandbar restaurant. On a side note I've never seen any of them hook up.

Depending on the day I might go in there; other times I look for "my own fish" farther down the beach. I would get there just as the sun pops up - get the sun to your back and cruise the buoy line. The silver from their backs will really light up as the sun pop up.

This was by far the biggest daisy chaining school I saw last year (side imaging works like a champ). Each white blip is a poon. We were in about 25' of water so they were easy to see - one HUGE black mass.

4dc2de53-3c7d-47b8-89d5-21fd396895d0_zps

In June you'll find the crab flush on and you'll find them in "the hole" at Egmont. Regular sonar (up/down).

20140628_145349_zpspz3273j7.jpg

Couple threads from last year (no pun intended)...

http://www.theonlinefisherman.com/forum/index.php/topic/24368-20140607-meanwhile-off-longboat-pass/

http://www.theonlinefisherman.com/forum/index.php/topic/24341-20140531-bean-point-poon/

I would get out there on a weekday - and even then it can be tough.

I'm not sure when I'll get out there, but hope to be off the beach this weekend. At the end of the day its all about the numbers - spend enough time out there and you will get on, but it can be the most frustrating thing in the world to not have them eat.

If you don't want to deal with the beach scene hit the Skyway. That's a totally different beast...personally I like beach fishing (it's more like hunting than fishing) but people are becoming jerks and I may throw in the towel on that scene.

Last thought - if you REALLY want to get on, hire a guide for 2 days on a weekday in June. He'll tell you which days are best. Tell him you want to learn and he'll tell you pretty much everything. I used Jim Lemke in the late 90's - he consistently got us on poon.

All that said, "It's the most wonderful time of the year."

Thanks jb for all the good info. I posted in all things fishy unless it got moved. I'll be spin fishing for tarpon since my only fly setup is 8wt. Shoot man if I could afford a guide down there I'd get myself a used powerpole instead.

Does anyone know when the tarpon start moving more north? I'm in spring hill and could be out there all day anyday for the next couple weeks. Instead of making a trip to spend a day on the water. Unless i went to boca which I'll probably do soon

A lot of good info from JB, I would add to the list of soft plastics the Hogy HDUV Jigging paddle tails as well. Ive caught 6 tarpon up to 150+ lbs this year on just those, I like black with purple specs and bone white with silver on a 10/0 1 oz barbarian jighead. Also I was just out at Egmont last week for the evening outgoing throwing crabs and couldn't buy a bite, schools of tarpon were surfacing everywhere busting schools of threads, so we used a sabiki and caught a few while drifting and had a fish on within minutes of putting a bait in the water. hope this helps.

Lots of great responses and info. On the beaches North of Egmont, I start to see North bound fish after the new moon in June and the Full moon in July. Those North bound fish are post spawn and hungry.

It takes many days on the water to have some understanding of beach Tarpon, and I doubt anybody really has them figured out they are quit unpredictable most of the time. I do find more movement right before and after tidal changes.

The most important thing IMO, is patience. Post up on likely feeding lanes and wait, they come in waves and the tide and boating pressure play a big part in it. When you see other anglers packing it in, Wait, anxious to try another spot wait, windy wait, they will come. I wouldn't be afraid to fish tight to the beach 5-8 FT with that skiff too, your footprint will let you fish some shallower fish and IMO fish tight to the beach are there to eat.