Sign in to follow this  
lostmans1

Tarpon Time

The time has come...dust off your heavy spinning outfits- make sure the drag systems are in order and you have them slapped full with 300 yards of braid.  Load up on plenty of 60 and 80 lb fluorocarbon leader and your favorite 5/0, 6/0, and 7/0 hooks. Reports started coming in at the end of last month of some early season fish and since then, the boys and I have been on the prowl.   We have been looking at every spot from the skyway to the beaches.  At the beginning of the month we saw some good fish and while we didn't have any hookups we felt good about the coming weeks numbers.   We went out Monday with literally one of the worst tides of the month, but hey its officially tarpon season and while we knew we weren't going to break any records we thought we could maybe get a few to eat.   We fished all day and we counted a good 50 other boats out there tarpon fishing.  The early bite seemed to be the best with around 10 poons flying coinciding with the minimal amount of water movement.   Some of those fish were on threadfins, some were on whitebaits, and some where on cut baits resting on the bottom.   We went to an area with far less boat traffic but still had a good amount of tarpon showing on the screen and visually with rolling fish.  After fishing live threads for most of the day we made our final push late in the evening.  We started to clean out the well and the dead baits we had and I put a cut thread on the bottom.   It didn't take long after that to get a thump and I said boys "Im on"!  I waited about 3 seconds then got him tight and set the hook.    Anchor ball out was out and off we went.....turns out it was a small fish- maybe 50lbs but hey, it was good to go out on a tide like that and get one in the air for a few jumps.  we got her boatside, took some pics and rode back to the dock grinning because we know they are finally here, and will only get better and better.  Good luck out there!

Follow me on twitter @Lostmans1- that's where most of my pics end up

Hell yeah Jack! Thanks for the report and I'm sure you guys will slay it this season! The guys I've spoken with so far have been really impressed with the all around numbers so far! Should be a super hot season for sure! Be safe out there and get em in the air!

Had a good set along the beach Yesterday. It felt great to put one in the air, after a long winter you forget just how Bad @#$% tarpon are.

Its going to heat up the closer we get to that new moon on Monday.

its funny- I talked to a buddy this week and he said "tarpon aren't really my thing" .  I said have you ever caught one?  he said "no".  lol....well my friend just wait til that addictions bites you like it has the rest of us and then you will understand.

its funny- I talked to a buddy this week and he said "tarpon aren't really my thing" .  I said have you ever caught one?  he said "no".  lol....well my friend just wait til that addictions bites you like it has the rest of us and then you will understand.

The power is so off the chain, the difference between the largest Redfish you'll ever catch and a 100 Lb Tarpon is the difference between a VW bug and a Top fuel Dragster.

When a big Tarpon feels the hook in shallow water all hell breaks loose. Jumping, gill rattling and putting distance between you and your skiff at an alarming rate is angling Nirvana, pure and simple.

There is just nothing like it on earth and you really cant explain it to someone, they have to live it themselves.

lets get out in a few weeks.   although you might have to endure victory music after each hookup....could be iration- time bomb or Notorious BIG- the ten crack commandments....you never know what that tarpon is fighting a beat to

I vote ten crack commandments!!

Been launching them every morning over this last week off anna maria. Jumping 10-15 fish before 12 each day all on chunk threads. Bite really slows down come afternoon and usually head in around 2 do to it all again the next day. Major key has been constantly chumming so the live wells need to be black.

Cheers to tarpon season 

the sharks were pretty bad early in the season....think we only lost 2 to sharks in the passes but other than it was smooth sailing.   most of the fish were between 80-110 with a handful of 150# fish on.   Live threadies/finger mullet on the incoming tides and some dead chunking early in the year but the outgoing as usual is all about the crabs.  Weather was good for the most part and once we got cut off from st pete by the storms and had to seek refuge at Anna Maria but that's ok, we pulled up to Ocean Star and ate well on the patio while the storms passed, then trekked back to the burg.   I used 60lb leader all summer and a 5/0 cutting edge owner for crabs and 7/0 for the dead and live baits.