bassin assassin

Saddle Creek Bassin'

Decided to take a short break from salt and do a little bass fishing. Ventured over to Lakeland today to fish Saddle Creek. It is a huge phosphate pit with islands and very deep water...26 feet deep in spots at least. Definitely different fishing. So launch around 10:30am. Water temp is 85 and got to 90 later in the day. Air temp was also very hot. It was so hot that my Crocs shrunk sitting on the floor of the boat and it was hard to put them back on.

Long story short it was a tough day. I didn't get a bite for 2 hours. I was trying everything...plastic worms, jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and everything I could think of. I finally caught a dink bass on a while trick worm in the shade around 12:30pm. It wasn't till almost 4 1/2 hours later when I caught another small bass on the same lure. Why did I want to take a break from the salt life for this? I was contemplating leaving, but thought it might get better with an approaching storm and evening coming.

Actually got a couple of more strikes right after that, but I missed them. Small bass. So it's just after 5pm. The heat is oppressive. The bite is tough. Sweating bullets and my back is killing me. I cast out my trick worm on a point. I work it a bit and lean forward to ease the tension in my back. I begin to reel in and my line is coming to me. I set the hook and a big bass has taken my bait. After a nice battle, I get her in the net. It was a short fish, but the girth on her was amazing. Freakish! Looked like she hadn't spawned out yet. She weighed 7lbs. 3 oz.

post-159015-0-92828000-1432179222_thumb.jpg

I ended up working it till dark and only caught 2 more small bass. I did lose a couple other small ones, including one I jerked over the boat on the hook-set and another on a crankbait. Not a great or even a good day by any means, but I did catch one nice bass.

Thanks guys! She was a butterball for sure. Was lucky to catch her. Yea it was tough. Getting old and that heat yesterday was brutal. Felt like I might have a heat stroke at times. No nice sea breeze to make it bearable. Forgot how important it is to get on the lake at first light. By the middle of the day, I was the only one out there. Fish were deep and I needed to be using a Carolina rig, but didn't have the tackle. Couple of young guys came out late in the day and were wearing them out crankbaiting points. May give it another try after I recover.

Shame on you comparing that bass to me, calling it Freakish and even calling it short and fat like me. You could have said it was Daveish like the guy with the fat feet ! You wait till I get back down there ! I'll get even for you picking on me. I was going to bring some Backstrap down but I don't know now !

Snook have that initial burst of speed and power, but reds have no quit in them and brute strength. Reds fight better imo.

Yea she probably spawned out since it is almost June, but if that is any indication of the bass in there, that place holds some monsters. Her belly was maxed out. Saw lots of baitfish flipping on top. Even the small 8" bass I caught were so fat.....mini-butterballs. Bass are eating well there.

I know I gained weight, but in my feet? Must be retaining water, ha That backstrap was so good and the strawberry preserves were outstanding.