Sign in to follow this  
pjtaft

Cleaning Rods And Reel From Saltwater

I recently took my 8 year old  wading in from gandy causeway,. and now have a rig that was submerged in salt water,. any special cleaners or techniques  that you can recommend?

I use Corrosion-X.  You can get it at most tackle shops.  I would break the reel down as far as you feel comfortable, and be pretty liberal with it.  It's great for routine maintenance as well.

As far as complete submersion, I can't offer the best advice.

For general cleaning:

1. Completely tighten drag to keep more saltwater and debris from being sprayed in.

2. Rinse rod

3. Wet a rag and WIPE down the reel and rod. Do not spray the reel as this will drive in the saltwater. I learned the hard way on a few reels.

4. Open drag to allow it to dry when storing

This is my technique and it has served me well. I'm sure others have much better techniques and advice. Important thing is to NOT spray your reels with a hose.

well,..    first thing I did was rinse with fresh water,. I figured that it was better than it sitting with saltwater..  luckily it's a low dollar rig,. so I guess that we'll open it up tonight and see how it looks.

Thank You for the replies,.    hopefully they will touch on this at the St Pete seminar,.. lol,

I've had this happen to me before as well. I've broken down the reel as best as I could and then let the reel and its parts soak overnight in some fresh water with Dawn liquid soap. Once it soaked, I then let them air dry. Once all the moisture is gone, I then spray down with Corrosion X. I've been successful in doing this.

I hope your gear turns out okay.

luckily  this was a cheap spinning reel,.  so when I broke it down to clean deep,. there wasn't any evidence of saltwater inside the housing at all, cleaned the spool,  wiped down, light oil,. and all appears good!  definitely a lesson learned moving forward.  hopefully we'll win some gear tomorrow at St. Pete. (and a Kayak)    Thank You once again for the input!!!

For future ref. I accidentally dunked Flueger at anclote while I was wading. I could feel the salt in there grinding around. I took it home, open the side up, submersed it in a bucket of freshwater and started to reel for a little while. Then I let it dry and re greased it, And works like new. I was very happy.

As far as complete submersion, I can't offer the best advice.

For general cleaning:

1. Completely tighten drag to keep more saltwater and debris from being sprayed in.

2. Rinse rod

3. Wet a rag and WIPE down the reel and rod. Do not spray the reel as this will drive in the saltwater. I learned the hard way on a few reels.

4. Open drag to allow it to dry when storing

This is my technique and it has served me well. I'm sure others have much better techniques and advice. Important thing is to NOT spray your reels with a hose.

Rip, you offer good advice. Most all things I've read about reel maintanance tell me to rinse gently, not power spray your reel. So last week, I noticed my spinning reels were stating to bind during retrieve. I took them both completely apart. There was some corrosion, and after a thorough cleaning and lubricating, they spin freely.

From now on, I'll try just a wipe down.