Sign in to follow this  
scotttennant9876

The New Uber For Boats? How Is This Legal?

Hey guys, I apologize if this topic has come up already, I haven't been on here in a while. Has anyone heard of this new company coastalyfe? The claim to be the new über /lyft for boats in this area. It sounds like a cool idea in some ways, but a horrible idea in others. I asked them how they can do this legally if the coast guard requires you to have a captains license if you are making money on the boat, and they wouldn't give me a straight answer. They said they are in contact with the coast guard and have an understanding. I would personally want more details before using the service as a consumer or a driver. What are your thoughts on it?

Scott, I'm not sure about all the details... I read about this on the bay news 9 site and the article didn't really get into much depth of the behind the scenes operation/licenses needed for boat operators, etc.

Personally I don't like the idea, but that's just me...

Its not legal if the operator of the vessel does not have the proper credentials. I looked into this and it appears that anyone with a boat can sign up with no credentials needed.

The Coast Gaurd has been investigating this from what I have been told.

There have been a lot of unlicensed people running charters latley and there is one I know of who was busted by the Coast Gaurd recently.

Uber has won several court cases based on the definition of a taxi service, judges found they were not taxi services as defined by the law and exempt from regulation. This might fall under similar scrutiny i.e. what is a "charter" and does coastalyfe fall under that definition and regulation.

I'd like to see them succeed to be honest. I don't like the government interference in the operation of private vessels in the first place. If I take a penny for gas all of a sudden I'm a charter boat captain? subjected to federal tax and government force should I chose not to comply. It just another institution of control and a sea trade tax plain and simple.

Uber has won several court cases based on the definition of a taxi service, judges found they were not taxi services as defined by the law and exempt from regulation. This might fall under similar scrutiny i.e. what is a "charter" and does coastalyfe fall under that definition and regulation.

I'd like to see them succeed to be honest. I don't like the government interference in the operation of private vessels in the first place. If I take a penny for gas all of a sudden I'm a charter boat captain? subjected to federal tax and government force should I chose not to comply. It just another institution of control and a sea trade tax plain and simple.

Accepting a few bucks from a friend for fuel is one thing. Getting paid to transport someone whether it is for fishing or simply from dock to dock is a charter.

Why should operators of fishing charters,cruises,ect. have to be licensed but Joe Weekender who wants to make a buck on the side shouldnt be?

Personally I dont hope they succeed illeagaly. Both Coastyl Lyfe and its boat operators are in this for profit. Niether is doing this as a favor to mankind.

IMO its a saftey issue. Do anyone of these weekend boat taxi drivers have to comply with any Drug Testing Programs? Do they have any real experience operating a Vessel on the water?

Have they taken a Physical to know if they are in decent shape? Do they have any first aid training? Do they have proper saftey equiptment on the boat?

You have no idea when you step onto the boat with one of these weekend water taxi drivers of who they are  period. Plain and simple!