fishtale

I Need Some Help Please

Well i know pretty much nothing about kayaks.but i am gonna start fishing from one.i just dont know what to buy. I do want a 2 man so i can take my 5year old with me sometimes.i found a perceptions rhumba 13.5'for $599. Is that too long for one person to fish the flats? Or a 10' sport fisher for $579. I want one asap. Any other suggestions on what to get in that pricerange, and where to get it, somewhere near pasco? Thanks

The perception looks more stable. The longer a kayak is the easier it is to navigate around in my opinion. Whatever you choose, just make sure your 5 year wears a life jacket and have a good safe time

No it's not too long. It's perfect! Anything smaller than 13-14' is going to be a royal pain to paddle in wind or any distance. And when kayaking BOTH of those things come into play every time LOL

If you are familiar with Bill Jacksons in pinellas county, they carry a variety of yaks and you can water test them on site in the pond! I would highly recommend doing that before you purchase. And go there on a windy day.!!!!

And testing the yaks there is free of charge!

Well i know pretty much nothing about kayaks.but i am gonna start fishing from one.i just dont know what to buy. I do want a 2 man so i can take my 5year old with me sometimes.i found a perceptions rhumba 13.5'for $599. Is that too long for one person to fish the flats? Or a 10' sport fisher for $579. I want one asap. Any other suggestions on what to get in that pricerange, and where to get it, somewhere near pasco? Thanks

A 13 footer is much faster and tracks easier. Stick with something around 12-13 feet--preferably 13 if you'll be yaking long distances.  Paddling from a 2 man kayak alone (on days you wish to go by yourself) is much harder, so that's something to consider. Don't be rash in your decision to purchase a yak! Try them out first, if you can. A narrow one will be faster, but less stable than one that is wider. This is coming from a guy who's owned both. Around the price range, you can't go wrong with the Perception Sport Pescador. It is basically a restamped Tarpon Wilderness 120. 

Also, check on craigslist! Prices for a used yak is much cheaper, and resale value will be essentially the same if you ever decide to upgrade. I bought my 10 ft Perception Pescador for 380 and sold it for the same price!

The older ones (perceptions rhumba 13.5) had the ability to change from tandem to single. The newer one (tribe or something like that) do not, so be sure it can be solo paddled. All tandems can be solo powered but not all have the correct seating position for a solo paddler, if that makes any sense to you.

​The difference is in the seating position for a solo paddler in a tandem being move more centered in the yak.

Good luck and happy fishing!

Edit: Two people in anything under 13'( in the yak fishing world) is combat fishing at it's best. Sure to change friends to enemies and wives into a monthly spousal check.

Added that for it's humor and sensibility.

Thanks. Another question. If i get a roomy 1 man. Is it legal for my kid to just sit in there with me if he fits? Also i found a vibe skip jack for $699. 3 seats so u can use the middle for a single person. Has any one ever had one of these?

Bill Jackson's had demo day on Saturday (My son and I went after the St Pete Expo), they are having a big sale this Saturday coming up.  they have some Blemished, demos, and a trade in or two it seemed like,.  staff is great.

I own 3 kayaks (2 sit on, 1 sit in) , 1 canoe, a powerboat, and I converted the canoe to a sailboat (with amas, akas, and rudder). So I have a frame of reference on this one, but I do lack 2 person kayaking.

Every boat is a series of compromises - well at least until you hit mega yacht.

It was mentioned earlier - go to a demo and demo as many as you can take. You really have to consider what you're going to do in it the majority of the time. If fishing and if you're not standing that will take out sight fishing for the most part. If you want to go "offshore" then sit in's are probably off the table too. So explain to them what you plan on doing the most of. Demo as many as possible and go from there.

Now...from my perspective (read opinion) I would do the following:

1) get a kayak you want - this will be your primary fishing vessel; basically it's what you want/need; you'll have to research sit in vs sit on; I love my wilderness commander to fish inshore on, but to go offshore I would primary stick to sit on (bailing a sit in would be a pain); be sure to get a kayak you can stand up in - that's 50% of the equation.

2) until the boy is about 8-9 get a 15' canoe - cheap (craigslist - like $200); so now you have two boats; that will give you the separation for casting but will give you enough room in the canoe that you can canoe camp in, but you can fish in what you want

3) at around age 8-9 consider selling the canoe and get a second kayak; once I gave my kids their own boat it gave them a great deal of confidence to be their own captain; then it was game on

So that sounds like a bunch of boats - I bought mine for $200, $450, and $750 (with a trolling motor - Wilderness Comander). So I'm in kayaks for about $1300; the canoe is the one I paddled in '72 and I pretty much have inherited that one. (for reference new for $200 in '72)

That's the plan that worked for me...course I'm Cuban and a sheet and an inner tube probably would have sufficed, but catching poon in an inner tube would be a real pain.

Check Craigslist for both kayaks and canoes. If you want asap then expect to pay a premium. Google sit in kayak versus sit on kayak. That's a good start.

On a different note plan on lots of eco-touring or fish active simple baits - spoons are champs and will catch anything. Ladyfish, trout, reds, snook, pinfish, puffers, flounder...in general kids just want anything to pull on the other end. At least with my kids we always had to be moving. Drifting the flats with a cork and doa shrimp (less rigging) works too.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Its been pretty hard finding what i want. In the end , i did what i was told not to do. I ordered One online without trying it first.so hopefully i picked an ok one.ill be taking it out around brasher,hudson bch,Anclote and Aripeka.as well as some fresh water spots.thanks again for the replies

post-218510-0-43229600-1433250991_thumb.png

post-218510-0-30480200-1433251032_thumb.png

post-218510-0-56977200-1433251057_thumb.png

post-218510-0-86579200-1433251088_thumb.png