rkotinsky

Red Chasing And Storm Chasing And The Bad Weed

Late evening trip with high tide at 8:30PM, in the water by 5:30PM with no action for the first 2 hours. Water temperature at 94 degrees with a good wind. The wind pushed water into the flat so the tide was a bit higher, however major sea grass came with the wind. Gave up on treble hooked lures after being unable to present the lure for any reasonable length of time without gumming up the action. Tried a weedless jig and eventually gave up and stayed with a weedless gold spoon which still managed to catch weeds but not nearly as often. Found a spot that had a lot of mullet activity and somewhat less sea grass and tossed the spoon into the fray. Had a blowup and hookup on the spoon and finally landed my first red fish. Moved around a bit more with no action and returned to the same spot and the spoon got spanked hard! This time a really strong and powerful red fish. After a lengthy fight and many runs on my drag system I landed her and noticed the large head and shoulders on the fish, she taped out at 28". Left the flat just before dark with some good experiences and nice pictures.

g0011910hdr.jpeg

ronredfis28hdr.jpeg

img3569hdr.jpeg

g0011866hdr.jpeg

Awesome pics as usual. One of your pics was on Fox 13 News the other night!

The water temp was 94 degrees that day you went out????

Really, which picture, was it on the actual TV station?  Any mention of TBK or my name?

Yes at the front of the flat 94 degrees on the surface!  Thankfully it is raining hard today.

Ron, I saw it a couple of days ago on Fox 13, during the 10 o'clock news. Paul Dellegato put a picture up from "Tampa Bay Kayaker" and it was a pic of a sunset.

Ron, I saw it a couple of days ago on Fox 13, during the 10 o'clock news. Paul Dellegato put a picture up from "Tampa Bay Kayaker" and it was a pic of a sunset.

Was it this one?

miguelhdrtbklarg.jpeg