Sign in to follow this  
fishinchick

Curious About Something I Saw

Ty and I were watching a fly-fishing show and we noticed an item on the bow of the boat that we had not seen before.  Clearly it was something fly anglers use to keep their fly line in one spot while they're stripping in their line but I'm curious as to what it's called.  It's a flat circular shape (about 2 ft in diameter, maybe) with a good number of prongs sticking straight up.  It's the best description I can give.  Can someone tell me what that is called and what it's used for?

Thanks,

D.

I never use any mats or barrels or baskets. I never cared to use them, I tried them all for a few minutes and always end up just kicking them out of my way

I can agree with you Robbie that in most situations I prefer letting it lay as it may on the casting deck, BUT when that wind kicks in you have to have a mat or basket. In my yak I just use a cheap 6-7 dollar welcom mat and lay it in the belly of the yak. Works like a champ, but fly line will invent its own way to knot, tangle, snag, kink, etc anything it feels like LOL!!

I cast from my platform so the stripping basket is a must in my situation. I keep the rod in the bucket while poling, when I see fish I put the pole in my belt gizmo, grab the rod and cast. When you jump a big poon its also nice to know the line isn't wrapped around your big toe or something.