davis351

Braided Line

Hello all! I'm going to basspro today to get some line for my new reel. I want to get braided line but I want to try out a different brand. I've always baught powerpro but lately it's been snapping a lot easier than it should be. Any suggestions on what I should try out? What do you guys use?

I've always used Fireline Crystal and now I've been added Spiderwire Ultracast Invisabraid. I love them both but they're not cheap. I'm really interested in the Seaguar braid but too expensive for my wallet.

Get ready for a ton of different opinions...

There is really only two kinds of braid material used in the manufacture of line either Dyneema or Spectra. The coating may vary, but it all eventually wares off which is cool cause it cast like crap till then. PowerPro is Spectra fiber I think try something made from Dyneema fibers this go round. I personally use spiderwire mono inshore and PowerPro on tarpon rigs.

Been using PP solely after experimenting with ohero,spiderwire, and fireline. Have an occasional wind knot here an there but who doesn't? One odd thing I will mention is the only reel I've had professionally spooled with 10lb PP has been the most problematic. All my other reels I spool myself have had virtually no problems compared to the reel spooled at the shop. I like Phil, will stick to my Power Poo as well LOL.

I have put Samurai braid on 2 of my reels and really like it so far. The 30lb test Samurai is about the thickness of 10 lb Power Pro and seems more resistant to wind knots as well.

How has that stuff worked out for you Mike? The reel maintenance guy at Tarpon fishing outfitters highly recommended the 30lb as well. It is extremely thin for such strength but also more expensive.

Been using PP solely after experimenting with ohero,spiderwire, and fireline. Have an occasional wind knot here an there but who doesn't? One odd thing I will mention is the only reel I've had professionally spooled with 10lb PP has been the most problematic. All my other reels I spool myself have had virtually no problems compared to the reel spooled at the shop. I like Phil, will stick to my Power Poo as well LOL.

I spool all my own braid and very rarely have had issues... Same experience as you Josh, let the shop do it a few times and nothing but probs. So it's now a DIY thing LOL

pickgrin, on 11 Jun 2015 - 7:57 PM, said:snapback.png

I have put Samurai braid on 2 of my reels and really like it so far. The 30lb test Samurai is about the thickness of 10 lb Power Pro and seems more resistant to wind knots as well.

How has that stuff worked out for you Mike? The reel maintenance guy at Tarpon fishing outfitters highly recommended the 30lb as well. It is extremely thin for such strength but also more expensive.

So far so good Josh.  Logan up at Angler 360 in Oldsmar suggested I try it.  he normally carries the 20 lb (yl or lt green I think) and 30 lb (dark green) on big rolls but was out of the 20 lb at the time I initially spooled it so I said - just go ahead and put the 30 lb on - because it was actually thinner than the 15lb of whatever else I would normally use.   Very happy with it so far. (about 4 months on 1 reel and 1 month on another)  The 30 lb Samurai casts farther than the 15 lb PP it replaced on my jigging rod and I think I have only had 1 wind knot so far -  that was my fault anyway for reeling it in loose too many times in a row.   I like the extra "security" piece of mind of knowing that if a big fish gets a hold of it and runs it to structure - that I now have a better chance of landing that fish than I used to without compromising casting range or line capacity.  I would recommend putting it one of your reels and see what you think.  

I personally use Power Pro. I used to use Ohero, but when I would pull line to test my drag, the line would literally break off on me. I will never use Ohero braid again.

Truth about Ohero.  Anytime I go into TFO the try to hit me with, "Have you thought about Ohero braid?  You should give it a try."  "Nah, bro.  I'm good with not dealing with my line constantly breaking."

I stopped having the shops spool my reels and spool them myself.  Why?  The machine doesn't lay the line properly, in my opinion.  Whereas spooling it yourself with the reel entact will lay all of the line properly, as the reel was designed.  Make sense?  I've significantly reduced problems with casting, knots, etc.  Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Truth about Ohero.  Anytime I go into TFO the try to hit me with, "Have you thought about Ohero braid?  You should give it a try."  "Nah, bro.  I'm good with not dealing with my line constantly breaking."

I stopped having the shops spool my reels and spool them myself.  Why?  The machine doesn't lay the line properly, in my opinion.  Whereas spooling it yourself with the reel entact will lay all of the line properly, as the reel was designed.  Make sense?  I've significantly reduced problems with casting, knots, etc.  Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I spool all my own braid and very rarely have had issues... Same experience as you Josh, let the shop do it a few times and nothing but probs. So it's now a DIY thing LOL

Makes plenty of sense. And for the money it cost not worth one penny lol.  The only reason that one reel was even professionally spooled is because all my braid was at home and I wanted to give the new setup I had bought a try on the way home. Never again.... I've literally lost so much line with issues that I already should respool it three months later smh.