davis351

Mentor

Would anyone be interested in meeting up with me and showing me a few pointers? Well, once I get a combo. Haha. Or maybe let me tag a long on a trip? I've been reading some books and articals about fly fishing but I learn better with hands on and watching someone do it. It would be a great help!!

Davis

I'd be happy to help but honestly you wouldn't get much from it. I learned via trial and error and it doesn't translate well to teaching. There are systematic approaches that are far more affective at getting one to feel the rod, I really would suggest a competent teacher before you learn some bad habits, once that muscle memory is going the wrong way it takes time to reverse it.

Either way by teacher or just pounding flies on the flat, learn a usable cast, not far or pretty but a usable cast, generally a 30-40 foot semi accurate cast (good enough to lead a fish) that rolls out the fly will catch most fish on the flats and even big tarpon.

IMO I would learn the mechanics at one of the free classes, get your usable cast down in the yard, and then hit the water and learn how to fly fish.

Davis if you need some help with your casting, or learning how to cast, come down to Bill Jackson's in pinellas park, i do a free casting class on saturdays at 10 a.m. and also do private lessons. but i recommend the free ones first then private ones (if you so choose) that way your money will take you farther.