Sign in to follow this  
Packeryaker

Nature Coast Kayak Fishers

Hi.......I'm Gary, aka, PackerYaker.  I'm an avid kayak angler, fishing mostly along the Nature Coast near Crystal River.  I've created a new website called Nature Coast Kayak Fishers (fishingkayaks.us) where you can get more info about the area and fishery.  Feel free to visit it and let me know what you think.

Gary I came across your site a few weeks ago and shared it on two Facebook groups. It's one of the most helpful sites for us in the area and those around. I love the details and pictures of the ramps

Thanks, superjox........the ramp list is pretty complete, but I'll probably be including a few more suggested trips, and other stuff as I go along.  The site has not had alot of hits so we'll see how it goes.  It's been fun getting it set up.

Hi Gary - 

I think I met you at the Nature Coast Challenge Kayak Fishing Tournament this past spring.  I run the Nature Coast Lady Anglers club in Crystal River.  I did visit your site several times.  Lots of good info, for sure.  Would love for you to come and speak to our club one day....introduce yourself and your website.   Welcome to TOF, my favorite (and only) fishing website.

Thanks, fishinchick......I've really been impressed with this site also.  I'm trying to place you from the Challenge - my memory isn't what it used to be.  I keep telling my wife that as long as I can remember where my fishing spots are, I'll be OK!  If you allow members of the opposite sex at your meetings, I'd be happy to meet up with you guys sometime.  Why don't you email me ([email protected]) and we can go from there.

Sorry, superjox..........the road to the Chaz River ends near the headwaters and it's a long paddle to the mouth and good fishing.  I've recommended that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service create a kayak launch site in the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge extending south from the river several miles.  This would open up a great fishing area to us yakers.

Best bet, and it's a pain in the ass, would be to shuttle a couple kayaks in a boat to the mouth of Chaz.  Sounds kinda pointless though if you're gonna take the time in a boat.  Most areas out of the channel are only accessible by a skinny water boat anyway. 

I've been dying for a kayak launch in Chaz, close to the mouth.  HOWEVER...boat anglers and kayak anglers both know that if a kayak launch is built, it's only a matter of time before the area gets swamped with recreational kayakers.  Not that I have anything against recreational kayakers...

I still like the idea of getting the Fish and Wildlife Service to support the development of a launch site on the refuge south of the main Chaz, rip3618  I've driven down the dirt road in this area that passes by a number of creeks where it appears that very low impact parking and launching sites could be developed (it's a wildlife area so any development would have to be limited).  Sure, recreational yakers would use it too - so be it.   

Saw your screen name and couldn't help but to relate although my connection could be off target depending on the word Packer.

I'm moving to Hudson after 25 years in the Milwaukee area.

Packers (the Green Bay type) and kayaks are both part of my life story.

Where are you located and do you kayak the Natures Coast area?

Given my move to Hudson, I plan to explore the Natures Coast primarily by kayak and would love to get some ideas from some knowledgeable local folk.

Regards.....Marc