rkotinsky

Red Fish And The Sunset - Kayaking In The Bad Weed

Decided to take a late day trip with a peak high tide almost coinciding with sundown since my last few trips to this spot have not been very productive during daylight hours with hot weather, weeds and algae killing the artificial bite. Worked the usual edges and mangroves a few hours before sundown and had very little to show for it other than a small snook. Removed countless weeds and algea from my weedless spoons and paddletails. Even tossed ladyfish chunks which managed to snag and entangle in the salad bowl flats. Tired of tossing lures and baits I took a break and captured the picturesque sunset. I started heading back to the launch site afterwards feeling a bit dissapointed. By now it was almost dark and the tide was outgoing fairly strongly. Put on my favorite sardine lure for a few more last casts into some mangrove edges in the hopes of saving the day with at least one keeper sized fish. My fish was granted when I cast into one of the few weedless edges on the backside of a mangrove island. Finally a good hard hit and the sound of drag with the end result being a nice 24" fatty red fish. It was a very happy ending to my day.

img6406.jpeg

img64212.jpeg

img0897.jpeg

Persistence paid off sir! Sorry if I have asked before, but do you use a GoPro?

I have 3 cameras on board - iPhone 6, GoPro Hero 3, Canon EOS 60D - 8MP,12MP,18MP.  The Canon takes incredible pictures over 5K, you should see the originals on a high quality monitor.  The 2 sunset picts are from the Canon, the detail is insane.

Nice red. Was thinking about hitting that spot Friday AM. Weeds are brutal all over the SS. Makes fishing suck. Do you keep the reds you catch there?

Overall fishing is not as enjoyable in the summer time. However, there other reasons to be on the water besides catching fish. I do keep some of the fish from this spot, never had any issues although my wife says I do glow at night a little bit. :lol: Did you have a concern over contamination or something else?

Sure hope you are a CCA member and registered for the STAR tournament! Sounds like the place you were in is a great spot for catching a tagged red fish which will win you one of 5 new boats, motors and trailers including a Hell's Bay, Pathfinder or Contender package.  Also a souped up camo dune buggy plus 5 other prizes for the snook portion, plus there are 18 more prizes (6 each) including power poles for trout, cobia and sheephead. And a $100,000 in scholarships for kids. Check out the CCA star tournament website and my picture is on there.

PS You can't win the first place GMC 1500 Sierra 'cause I did!

Just curious...on the Canon, what lens are you shooting and do you shoot in RAW?

Gotta confirm on Southshore woes for weeds and algae. Going to stick to the stink pot for a while.

Sure hope you are a CCA member and registered for the STAR tournament! Sounds like the place you were in is a great spot for catching a tagged red fish which will win you one of 5 new boats, motors and trailers including a Hell's Bay, Pathfinder or Contender package.  Also a souped up camo dune buggy plus 5 other prizes for the snook portion, plus there are 18 more prizes (6 each) including power poles for trout, cobia and sheephead. And a $100,000 in scholarships for kids. Check out the CCA star tournament website and my picture is on there.

PS You can't win the first place GMC 1500 Sierra 'cause I did!

So you are the guy that took my red fish.  :o   I have entered the CCA tournament.  Hoping to get a tagged red.

Just curious...on the Canon, what lens are you shooting and do you shoot in RAW?

Gotta confirm on Southshore woes for weeds and algae. Going to stick to the stink pot for a while.

Good questions, yes I shoot RAW.  I use the a super wide angle Canon 10mm to 18mm.

HINT: I got mine in CRB about 200 yards from where it was released a couple weeks earlier. It didn't travel far. 10 redfish were released in Tampa Bay, each about 5 miles apart. So Simmons would be a good choice and you can figure out the rest.

HINT: I got mine in CRB about 200 yards from where it was released a couple weeks earlier. It didn't travel far. 10 redfish were released in Tampa Bay, each about 5 miles apart. So Simmons would be a good choice and you can figure out the rest.

Thanks for the tip, would love to get one.  Not to rain on your parade, make sure you have your taxes covered next year.  That is the only bad thing about winning non-cash prizes.

No concerns. Just wondering if you kept a red every time you went there. You wrote that you have been struggling to catch reds there as of late so I was wondering if there was a direct correlation between the two.

Went there yesterday with Freaky and we caught a few snook and trout, but no reds. My best snook was 26" out on one of the islands near the channel. Floating grass was not too bad, but tide was not as good as I had hoped. Brutally hot and by noon we were off the water.

No concerns. Just wondering if you kept a red every time you went there. You wrote that you have been struggling to catch reds there as of late so I was wondering if there was a direct correlation between the two.

Went there yesterday with Freaky and we caught a few snook and trout, but no reds. My best snook was 26" out on one of the islands near the channel. Floating grass was not too bad, but tide was not as good as I had hoped. Brutally hot and by noon we were off the water.

Not sure, wish there was a way to get good red fish counts.  There are times I have caught 8 or more red fish so I believe there is a good population in there.