Sign in to follow this  
davec

? For Beach Fisherman

I fish for snook quite often but always in "dirty water".

Will be at the beach (Sarasota area) visiting some folks on vacation.

I normally use Power Pro in 10 or 15 pound test. For the beach snook should I switch to mono or will the PP be OK ?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, Phil is spot on above. I beach fish for Snook too - I normally use 15# braid and 30# fluoro. You're fine on the 10# power pro, but if the water is super clear, you may want to go to a lighter leader, maybe 20# or 25#. You won't have to worry about a Snook breaking you on some kind of structure since you're on the beach.

Good luck!

I usually start with 6 feet of 25lb leader on the beach.   Im a live bait guy and I will use whatever I can catch on the beach im fishing.....sometimes its whitebait, sometimes pinfish or mojarra, sometimes small whiting.   If im not seeing any big lunkers around I have no problem going all the way down to 15lb flouro and using up to 10 feet of it.   Another big advantage for me with using such a long leader is I can just clip and re-tie after each fish and don't need to retie a new leader after every fish.  Casting isn't a huge issue with either, I don't need to throw the bait very far for the snook as most of time I want my bait right before the waves are crashing in front of the first trough.  I haven't don't too much beach fishing this year because the bait isn't too thick where I fish because the water is so churned up and the fish aren't there like they normally are.   Im waiting for that nice calm weather for a few days to get my beach back in prime condition so I can sight cast them fish.  I miss it.