Sign in to follow this  
jerrbare

15 Red Fish!

15 tagged red fish have been caught! But, only one CCA member who was registered in the STAR tournament was a winner, me! GMC 1500 Sierra, $45,000.

14 others must not have wanted a new 18' Hell's Bay, 23' Contender or 22' Pathfinder plus two other boats including motors and trailers because they were not registered! I take that back. One was a CCA member and registered but didn't read the rules and let the fish go! Bye bye Hell's Bay!

Still not too late. Another month to go and only one winner so far. 3 have been caught off Pasco County and the last one, in Sarasota County. I know there are at least 9 more in Tampa Bay alone and another 110 all together along the west coast of Florida.

There are several more divisions besides red fish; kayak, ladies, conservation, fly, snook, trout, cobia, sheephead and $100,000 in scholarships for youth division, $500,000 in all. Only 11 entries in the fly division so far and 11 in the cobia division. The winner of the snook div will win a $14,000 Bad Boy Buggie (can be seen at BPS, although they are not a sponsor) and the others in that division alone will receive 5 more prizes including a Power Pole. I think there are at least 5 Power Poles being awarded for the various divisions. 

post-158380-0-28121200-1438609936_thumb.jpg

post-158380-0-87190300-1438609958_thumb.jpg

post-158380-0-24961900-1438610191_thumb.jpg

post-158380-0-02471300-1438610215_thumb.jpg

that is awesome! I cant imagine how it would feel to land one of those tagged reds. is it to late to register for the tournament and is the snook category biggest or is it tagged?

What I can't imagine is catching a tagged red fish and not being registered and watching a Hell's Bay boat motor and trailer floating away, as did 14 people! :(

Anyway, it is not too late! The tournament is on until Labor Day, 5 PM. The rules are at www.ccaflstar.com and I would highly recommend reading them.

If you catch a tagged red fish, call the phone number on the tag and it will be answered by Liza Fitzgerald, tournament director. She will talk you through the process. You have two hours from the time you catch the red fish to get the picture of the red fish with the approved measuring device in to her. That is accomplished from your phone/computer via the app provided from the website. You can pick the measuring devise up at any of the sponsors listed on the website. 

The red fish is the only fish with a tag-120 of them originally. You do have to harvest these tagged red fish but the rest are by photo/release on the approved measuring devise and must be slot size except for the conservation division, which is any fish.

Any more questions, let me know.

I registered for the tournament and looked over the rules but I don't really understand how the winner is determined. if im trying to win the snook category do I just enter as many fish as possible regardless of size?

I'm assuming you are also a CCA member. That is first, then register for STAR. All fish (cobia, trout, snook and sheephead) have to be slot. Snook, for instance, have to be 28-33 inches. You can enter one a day for as many days as you catch a slot snook. Theoretically, if you were in the tournament for the 108 days and caught a slot snook each of those days you would have 108 chances. The 33 inch mark on the measuring devise is to cover both the upper snook slot size and the minimum cobia size.

Just think how many chances you have for any of the prizes! The only one you can't get is the truck!

The only category that isn't required to have slot fish is the conservation.

If you have any issues uploading your catch (trust me if anyone is going to have a problem with elections its me) CCA is there to assist. Leisa has been amazing.

This has been one of my best summers for reds on artificial...but no tagged reds yet. I'm still out there tossing lures!