Sign in to follow this  
afishionado

Monsters By Moonlight

Went out a couple nights this full moon on the hunt for bulls on the flats.. Overall, it was pretty slow both nights.. I did however manage to land my personal best red at 50.25" with a relaxed tail on the first night.. also scored a 42" not long after, along with a few that pulled the hook .. of course I was by myself so the pictures suck .. would have loved a hero shot with that fish but I'll live.. 

IMG_20150731_010049_zpsayyibhn4.jpg

This fish was in 2 feet of water when I hooked him.. 

IMG_20150731_010139_zpsbnhume4g.jpg

Hell of a big tail.. 

IMG_20150731_013145_zpsbedc3r4b.jpg

The little guy.. 

The second night only yielded two bites.. 

shark_zpsipxf9v3n.jpg

bigbull_zpsygptepn6.jpg

Lots of trout busting but the mullet were so insanely thick that them finding the topwater I was throwing was impossible.. the mullet were literally jumping into our kayaks as we paddled through them .. which was actually a neat sight with the strong biolumenescense in the area.. The reds too, awesome to watch them light up the water like comets when they take a big run.. 

Love your posts, thank you for sharing! Hell, I'll go next time just to take photos for you...and maybe hook up with a big bull. I've GOT to get to the east coast soon.

surfman this is on the Space Coast over on the east coast .. in all honesty these are mid sized fish for our area lol.. reds up to 60" roam our flats.. and yes dead bait on dropoffs.. I usually dont toss bait but at night its definitely the preferred method.. 

Barry, they pull like you wouldn't believe.. I use heavy gear in the summer because a long fight in hot water is bad on the fish but that 50" still took 20 minutes to land with a heavy azz Jarvis Walker meat stick of a rod with a 5000 sargus loaded with 30lb braid and a 50lb leader.. every time you get them close to the yak, they take off again and again.. the one I caught on the second night we didnt measure but was about 46" ish, and it fought me harder than the 50" fish.. took SEVEN runs.. usually you get 3-4 big runs out of em but this one was just stubborn.. and it was BARELY hooked, the 7/0 circle barely caught him in the corner of the mouth in the rubbery skin.. when I landed it the hook fell right out lol.. 

Amazing.  Congrats on the PB Marc.  Wish they were that big on the west coast.

Mike we have them here too. Just way harder to find. But the east is for sure the land of giants pretty consistently.

Okay, I feel better now, I know they are here on occasion but to go out and actually think you are going to target fish like that in TB is pretty optimistic. Most the big fish like that have moved off shore and are rare in the bay again. But they can be caught along the beaches from time to time. I have actually caught some bruisers trolling for grouper in the gulf before.

Yes you might catch a very large red now and then, but this guy catches very large reds all the time. He is that good. From what I seen on his post thru the years.

Andy- Marc is a true "waterman"! He is born and raised on the east coast and knows that water and backwaters like the back of his hand. Most of the areas over there are a long paddle in a kayak and he makes the trip worth while.. I've seen him jump out of his yak in waist deep water and Wade to get closer to a mullet school to throw the net at. And when he gets a couple he shoves them in his pocket (literally) and hops back in his yak and gets the job done IF he can't get em to eat artificial stuff.

It's all about knowing the water and knowing where the schools will be all throughout the year. It ain't easy at all, but he sure makes it look easy haha! He lives in the land of giants.