thien

Schools Of Tailing Reds!

Hey guys! I know it's been awhile. I took a break from jig fishing for snook and started hitting the flats a couple weeks ago. Went out last week to a spot I did very well at during the Spring. Bad weather coupled with unfamiliar summer patterns made red fishing with artificials very difficult for me. The reds had seemingly abandoned the spot in which they were concentrated several months ago. It was hot, weedy, and difficult to fish, so I changed my fishing trip to a scouting trip. Went to another spot with fewer weeds, clearer water, and more oxygen. I saw schools of tailing reds and kept drifting over stragglers. The storms chased me off, but I was glad to have found my reds!

I went back yesterday (Thursday). Low tide was around noon and I knew exactly where they'd be.

Started off around one mangrove and noticed reds busting bait, so I casted my top water. Got multiple strikes, but my spook was getting stuck with weeds, making it difficult to get follow-up strikes. I abandoned that spot and began seeking tailers. I had the flat all to myself--nice! Waiting for the tide to drop lower, I changed out my jig head to a weedless 1/16th oz worm hook with a PaddlerZ. And that's when I saw a school of large reds swimming right underneath my yak!! What a sight!

Hoping I didn't spook them, I waited a little longer. About 5 minutes later, I began seeing tailers! What a thrilling sight to behold! Casted my lure on the edge of the school and fish on! A nice 26.5 incher. I was happy with just one red and didn't expect the school to reveal itself again--I was wrong! It popped up again 10 minutes later and was swimming towards my yak. Again, casted towards the lead fish--another fish! This fish was about 30.5 inches. I waited around for the school after a few pics. 30 minutes later and they are nowhere to be found. That's when I I looked at a distance and saw a large school of over 100 fish busting bait and tailing. What a sight! I rush to the school and did the same thing--casted 20 yards from the lead fish, slowly bounced my lure, and fish on! Another 26.5 inch fish.

At this point, I see two other yakers coming within the vicinity. Finding out one of them is a TOF member, we begin fishing together. The school pops up a few minutes after I released red, but my zman was torn and I didn't have time to reach for another one, so I throw out a Lil John; the other two guys throw out cut pinfish. Triple hook up! Except my fish happened to be a jack lol.

It's now around 11:30 and the school disappears. I continued to see schools of reds stacked in potholes, but they refused my lure every time I made a presentation--the other yakers continued to catch them with cut pinfish. I waited for the tide to start coming in again, but with the harsh heat and spooky reds, I was becoming quite fatigued. Saw another school of huge breeders that colored the water with copper. Had several follows, but none committed. Oh well. Even though the action was shortlived, sight casting to huge schools of tailers makes for a great day!

post-218326-0-22290300-1438964282_thumb.jpg

post-218326-0-03150200-1438964322_thumb.jpg

post-218326-0-62587800-1438964348_thumb.jpg

Such a sweet, detailed report T! Nothing to get the heart racing like a tail waiving at you in the water. It's been forever since I've been out - I hope to get out real soon. Tight lines dude!!!

Nice report T! IMO the best sight to see is tailing reds.. Well maybe a fat pod of tarpon may edge out on the coolness scale LOL, but since this is a redfish report the tails are so awesome! You got some good fish man, keep it up!

Way to go Thien! I was out on Tuesday and rain into a number of over slot reds and a frickenjack that took me for a joy ride.

Fishing has been great in between raindrops.

Also great photos!