Sign in to follow this  
bcday11

Fish Id: Grunt Or Snapper?

I've looked a few places and cannot seem to find a picture that looks identical to this fish we caught yesterday.  I assumed grunt because it made that grunt sound out of the water like crazy, but it didn't have any horizontal lines coming from it's mouth/head.

I thought maybe a snapper variety but can't get a similar enough ID on this thing.  

Who can tell me what this thing is?!?!?!

post-183711-0-58225600-1439218815_thumb.png

I would say grunt. If you do a search for "grunt fish" and choose the images tab you will see the stripes seem to disappear when they get larger. I might believe that. I am far from a biologist but I will ask an FWC friend of mine to check. The stripes are really evident on the smaller ones. The eye and head shape of the fish you are holding are all grunt though.

But that is a big grunt man. I have to think that would clean and filet really well. They are crustacean eaters and would probably produce really white clean meat.

Sailors Choice is the most prevalent "pin-fish" caught on sabiki or any other gold hook type rig. Kind of a last choice bait but tough on the hook, increase your chances by cutting off the dorsal, pectoral and anal spines, kitchen shears work best. Puts out that wounded aroma, disables them a little and the prey/target species doesn't get jabbed!!!