bigduke

Knots And Super Glue.

Question of the day. I have been pondering this for a while. Particularly when tying Line to line knots.

So how much holding power does super gluing the knot ad?

I ask this because I can tie lots of knots like many of you. Some are easier than others, some are a downright pain in the a$$. But an even more important issue is the size of the knot. Some knots are long, some are thick and some hang up when casting or are hard on guides.

So there is an additional holding power to a knot by adding super glue. So if you have a 98% knot does that make it 100%? You cant really get any usable strength in a knot over 100%. So if you take forever tying a bimini twist, Albright, FG knot or any of the many others, can adding super glue allow you to use a easier to tie knot that goes through leaders easier yet make it a reasonable strong connection? For example would tying a Red Phillups knot and super gluing it become a reasonable choice due to its small size and the ease in which it goes through guides?

Well lets see what you guys think.

Sometimes I'll "zap" the knots on the sections of my fly leader.  

But then those are long term knots on leaders that I tie ahead of time and have in reserve.  I don't tie them on the water... 

Most of us have also thought about this.....but at the end of the day the cost of using super glue on a boat is just not practical.   I brought this up to an old salt a long time ago and he told me I don't need super-glue if I learn to tie a proper knot.    FG is solid but the knot system I have been on lately for anything over 30 lb leader is the spider hitch to the reverse Albright.   Anything under 30 lb leader I will spider hitch to a surgeons knot.

post-175487-0-36391400-1439602285.jpgActually Crazy glue with the brush applicator is very easy to use on the water. I use it for knots and I brush it on jigs and hooks with plastics. It then holds the plastics on like nobodys business. I would like to see a study on all the knots and using glues. My experience is it helps. Especially on heavy leader to hooks and terminal tackle. I have a feeling that on line to line applications certain knots would be helped by the glue and some may knot be able to perform as designed. It would be great to see a comprehensive study.

All of u salty dogs have your knots and your system I'm sure. Over the a

Last few years I have been helping a bunch of guys and ladies I work with get into kayak fishing and wading and I teach them 3 knots to learn. They are easy to tie with wet hands, in the wind, in chest deep water by yourself. And I have a super secret that, well isn't secret anymore I also show them that saves the day!

Braid line to leader line. Spider hitch(in the braid) to a no name knot(in the leader) I think the other name is a Bristol knot. I use this for my inshore set ups 10# braid to 20# leader I also use it on my offshore and tarpon set ups. Very easy very quick to tie. Best part u won't burn up a bunch of leader retiring it. Once you learn the knots.

And a live bait loop for my hooks and lures.

I sometimes use a clinch knot but i won't tighten it all the way down I leave a loop kind like a shock absorber. Once the fish takes the lure/bait the loop tightens on its own, it kind of helps take some of the tension off the line at that first big strike.

Know here's the secret.....ALWAYS KEEP 2 4inch pieces of smooth 3/4 inch dowel rod on you at all times. Use the dowel rods to finish the knot. I will tighten the knot to the point where it won't Loosen then wrap the leader around one dowel and the braid around the other and pull with firm even hard pressure, not jerking it, nice and smooth. You will watch the loops form and the knot set perfectly ever time. Good knots = no broken lines. Dowel rods = no more braid line cuts in your fingers.

Just my thoughts, and watching newbies learn knot tying it seems to come easy for them.

attachicon.gifKrazy.jpgActually Crazy glue with the brush applicator is very easy to use on the water. I use it for knots and I brush it on jigs and hooks with plastics. It then holds the plastics on like nobodys business. I would like to see a study on all the knots and using glues. My experience is it helps. Especially on heavy leader to hooks and terminal tackle. I have a feeling that on line to line applications certain knots would be helped by the glue and some may knot be able to perform as designed. It would be great to see a comprehensive study.

I have used the LocTite brand with the brush applicator on my jigs to keep soft plastic on, and it does work great. One thing though...dont forget and leave the glue in the boat or car as it will get dried out from heat and you'll have to buy another. 

All of u salty dogs have your knots and your system I'm sure. Over the a

Last few years I have been helping a bunch of guys and ladies I work with get into kayak fishing and wading and I teach them 3 knots to learn. They are easy to tie with wet hands, in the wind, in chest deep water by yourself. And I have a super secret that, well isn't secret anymore I also show them that saves the day!

Braid line to leader line. Spider hitch(in the braid) to a no name knot(in the leader) I think the other name is a Bristol knot. I use this for my inshore set ups 10# braid to 20# leader I also use it on my offshore and tarpon set ups. Very easy very quick to tie. Best part u won't burn up a bunch of leader retiring it. Once you learn the knots.

And a live bait loop for my hooks and lures.

I sometimes use a clinch knot but i won't tighten it all the way down I leave a loop kind like a shock absorber. Once the fish takes the lure/bait the loop tightens on its own, it kind of helps take some of the tension off the line at that first big strike.

Know here's the secret.....ALWAYS KEEP 2 4inch pieces of smooth 3/4 inch dowel rod on you at all times. Use the dowel rods to finish the knot. I will tighten the knot to the point where it won't Loosen then wrap the leader around one dowel and the braid around the other and pull with firm even hard pressure, not jerking it, nice and smooth. You will watch the loops form and the knot set perfectly ever time. Good knots = no broken lines. Dowel rods = no more braid line cuts in your fingers.

Just my thoughts, and watching newbies learn knot tying it seems to come easy for them.

Good idea with the Dowel fishnfoy. I am going to try this.

The biggest thing with knots of any kind is LEARNING the knot over and over and over and over and over.......!

The other thing is try to stop casting the rod with the knot still within the guides of the rod.

All great and true points.  The dowel is a great idea.  I use my pliers.  They have new tying tools to hold hooks and tie knots.  I even noticed Fishermans Glue being sold at Bass Pro. 

Phil is correct your leader can be too long and when it goes through the guides it is a huge problem.  However when you use a topshot you have to deal with it so the smaller and smoother the knot the better.

You know LOL fishing gets more difficult and technical all the time. I remember fondly the days of worms a cane pole and bobber with my Grandfather.

One last comment I keep the Crazy Glue in my tackle box its the only one with a brush tat does not have the cap get glues shut or dry out in the car.

I would stay away from super glue when you want to smooth out a knot or  make it "more secure".

super glue tends to "kraze" and will end up burning your leader and or knot, this will weaken the knot and the leader to a lower breaking strength,

learn to tie slimmer knots and slim down on your leader length as well. there is no need for super glue with good knots.  

there is a modified albright knot, and a modified way to tie the FG knot. i mean honestly what is a couple extra seconds out of your fishing to tie a really good quality knot? are you really willing to sacrifice knot strenght over something that is "easy" to tie?

I tried the glue used by fly fisherman to see if the knot would go through the guides better. The glue made the issue worse. And the knot would tend to come undone. I think the knot would not bite down on the lines and the knot would not be as designed. Lots of work has gone into the design of the fishing knot so it will bite but not cut the line.

Ill check out the article.  I tie a pretty good knot and fish light for big fish.  I have founf the crazy glue with a brush to work well.  Don't know what super glue "Krazeing" is as referred to above.  Havent found any evidence of the glue damaging the line.

I will look up Rieumonts article

I looked for it also but basically it said, "no problems" using Super Glue. I use the ones that are 12 to a pack and cost about $1.19 from Good Will. Use once and throw away, about half the size of the ones from WalMart etc and half the price.