Sign in to follow this  
soupyjc2

Equipment Help: Loosing My Casting Distance

This is probably a noob question, and i'll probably answer it myself, but i got to ask. 

i'm using a 7'6" rod with a helios 4000, spooled with 10 lb braid. i used to be able to cast it to the horizon, but now my casting distance is getting shorter and shorter. is my line getting bad? Do i need to just cut a few yards off, or respool the whole thing. i rinse the reel after every trip, figured that would be enough. i just started using braid this year, as i've been a huge fan of mono forever.

anyways, what do you think? I'm just guessing that i'll need to take about 50 yds of line or so off it and it will cast like i put new line on it again. 

thanks in advance and tight lines

Two things come to mind.

1 - tie your line to a solid object, a fence, car bumper, etc. Open the bail and walk about 100 feet. Close the bail and while puting a significant bend in the rod, slowly walk back to the solid object while winding the line in under pressure.

2 - Check the spool "lip" where the line comes in contact with the spool during a cast. Check for burrs, scratches, etc. If there are any get some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and very carefully polish the rough spots out. Do this by hand so as to not ruin the spool.

Those are good solutions ^^

Also as you stated cutting off some of the "used" line is sometimes the easiest and most effective.

As well as having the line respooled on the reel backwards so that the new stuff is now what is being thrown. You can do it yourself or take it to a reel shop and have them do it for you.

The used portion of braid loses its "slickness" over time

Another possibility is that you may not have enough line on the spool.  Typically when I start to notice a drop in distance it is due to the that.  A lack of line also causes more friction on the "lip" thus dropping distance.  just my .02

there is nothing better than new line for getting distance.   You can do what these guys have already mentioned and that will prolong the life of your braid.   depending on what reel im talking and which ones I use the most throughout the season I end up losing a lot of braid getting hung up or clipping a tangle out and clipping frayed line away, whatever the case may be I can always tell when something has to be done.  I love getting new braid- I do it way to much and it helps that I have a few connections that will hook me up in the braid department.   The biggest thing about putting on new braid is make sure that the pressure is consistent throughout.  The only other thing we got is to turn around and cast the other way with the wind :rolleyes:

there are quite a number of things that could be affecting it. 

1. you do not have enough line on the spool

2. you are using too thick or improper line diameter in accordance to the rod. 

3.you may have some scratches or or indentations on the spool lip

4. you are using an improper reel, with an improper spool lip that is not designed for braided line (yes it matters!!!)

5. you are casting too light or too heavy of weight/or lure weight in accordance to the rods recommended weight (this is actually very crucial)

a lot of people get the wrong idea about reels/line/and rod weights. mostly because of how they are marketed. or from what people tell them due to lack of knowledge.

i personally will not agree with it being due to "old" braided line (however if it was monofilament, since it has a "coil memory" it would afect it), the only thing that is truly affected when a braided line gets old is structural integrity (i.e line strength, and knot integrity)