thien

Schooling Reds Action With Friends!

Invited some friends to fish my usual spot for schooling reds. The tide was going out until 12--it was going to be low, but not as low as I normally like it. Started out at a spot that was littered with mullet. Worked my topwater had a few reds unsuccessfully attempt to grab my lure. Over a dozen missed strikes and two pulled hooks later, I catch a decent slot trout from this spot. 

Moved onto my "pushing and tailing reds spot." The tide was still high, as it was only 9, but I figured there'd still be some fish at this spot. Worked the area for a good hour with nothing but catfish to show. Around 11, I started searching heavily for the school, hoping they'd show themselves. Nothing. At this point, I was getting frustrated. My buddies explored an area about 3/4 of a mile down. Around 11:30, he calls me and tells me to hurry myself over there because he saw a school of huge reds. I asked if they were pushing, but he said no. That's fine, now I know where the school is.

Head to that flat and I started standing. After a few minutes, I spot the school! Casted my lure--hit! But the hook pulls. I was using a new weedless rig--2/0 worm hook with a weight hook. Apparently, the weight hook kept sliding down, making for poor hooksets! This happened about 2 more times as both my buddies proceed to pull fish from the school. Searching intently, I find a smaller school that pops up. Cast my lure and hit! After a strong fight, it turned out to be a jack  <_<

My buddy Terence casts and catches a red. School pops up again, making HUGE wakes. This time, I set down my malfunctioned weedless set up and throw on a DOA shrimp. I cast, but was just a tad short of the school. I got flustered, as the school was moving towards me FAST. It makes a turn and I peddle a little faster to catch up. Cast to the lead fish from the back and WHAM! A nice upper slot fish! 

We continue to catch fish, as the school popped up at least a dozen times within 1.5 hours. 

Ended the day early with a bunch of reds between the 3 of us and a flounder and trout to take home for dinner!

Gonna figure out why my tackle kept failing, as I lost way too many fish to count. Oh well...that's just the way it is. Can't complain when you're hunting schooling reds! Most fish were caught on the Zman PaddlerZ, with one caught on a DOA shrimp.

Enjoy the pics!

post-218326-0-83481800-1440116191_thumb.jpg

post-218326-0-46568200-1440116212_thumb.jpg

post-218326-0-87118400-1440116229_thumb.jpg

post-218326-0-95403500-1440116254_thumb.jpg

post-218326-0-91577600-1440116283_thumb.jpg

post-218326-0-84896900-1440116295_thumb.jpg

Nice work T!

Have you ever used a 3/0, 4/0, and even 5/0 size weighted hook? If not, try it... 4/0 is my fav for reds when running weedless gear.

I also never use more than 1/16th oz when on a skinny flat like that... Sometimes no weight at all...

Thanks for the kind words, Freaky! I just do lots of reading and research!

Phil, I use a 2/0 because the hook protrudes perfectly right before the tail starts segmenting. It's never failed me before...only now because the hook weight kept slipping down, causing my plastic to slip and making for a poor hook set. It's a new rig I'm trying--I purchased a pack of 25 worm hooks and 50 weight hooks for only $12. You can't beat $12 for 25 weighted worm hooks! Just have to crimp it on tighter next time.

Oh and the flat wasn't very skinny! If I would've attempted to wade this flat, the water would've gone up to my neck!

Thanks for the kind words, Freaky! I just do lots of reading and research!

Phil, I use a 2/0 because the hook protrudes perfectly right before the tail starts segmenting. It's never failed me before...only now because the hook weight kept slipping down, causing my plastic to slip and making for a poor hook set. It's a new rig I'm trying--I purchased a pack of 25 worm hooks and 50 weight hooks for only $12. You can't beat $12 for 25 weighted worm hooks! Just have to crimp it on tighter next time.

Oh and the flat wasn't very skinny! If I would've attempted to wade this flat, the water would've gone up to my neck!

NICE!!! That's a good deal for sure! Keep Rockin it dude