Sign in to follow this  
rip3618

Live Well Help

I've got an issue with my live well pump.  A little background of what I have...17' Trophy bay boat, under the seat live well with an Attwood Tsunami T800.  The pump works well except for when I'm on plane the pump will no longer pump water.  I have to stop the boat and prime the pump.  I moved the location of the pump as low in the hull as I can and it's below water level.  The is a small kink in the hose but it doesn't affect the water flow when the pump is pumping water.  I'm guessing it's an air lock issue when I'm on plane.  Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Thanks.

Good point about the pump being above the water line while on plane.  My intake is on the bottom of the hull, not the transom so I don't think the adapter would work with my set up.

I can manage but moving from spot to spot I'm losing some of my bait and it takes a few minutes to revive the rest and get them lively again.

Tony has a good point about the location of the intake. If it's too far forward it may be out of the water on plane. Not being an expert on this issue, my first thought is to make a new intake further aft and plug the current one.

Sounds like a ded well. LOL

They put the pickup in a bad place and or you have a air lock when moving . We Installed a one piece bronz thru hull hi speed pick up. Pump screws directly to pick up shut off valve. This is below the water line 1 ft or so from transum, the pump actualy is primed automaticaly. Up sized all hozes. All these pumps push better than they pull. Get rid of the kink. This set up produces positve flow and breaks the air lock while under way. Keeps bait lively in the well.

post-218585-0-70193200-1441200027_thumb.jpg

post-218585-0-20852500-1441200058_thumb.jpg

PICT0024_zps0oons6k8.jpg

My threadfins kept dieing, so I installed one of these in about 10-20 min; drilled one small hole on the top to let air escape when you stop. Eliminates any air bubbles.

Works like a champ and a $15 solution.

That side pick up location looks like it escapes the infamus sea weed clog associated with going through the bottom but not the suction. Kind of curious does this modification produce a positive flow while under way?

Like wise  there is a retro strainer scoop that just screws in over a traditional pick up through the bottom. They are made in bronz or plastic.Bronz is a little pricey & in this cace not integral.

We were going up  one size any way & chose the one piece which is a little more efficient. Either of these I would label as a must have for a live well.

The rotary vein pumps just dont have power just flow which doesnt win a tug of war contest. A bigger pump just makes your battery die faster if you dont need aditional flow while stoped.

Manufacturers dont want to spend the money for a mision critical pick up tipical of inboard cooling. Me I put a kikin live well up there with a cool running engin!

Please please please put a seacock on that fitting or anything below the water line. I almost sunk my old boat because I didn't have one and the plastic on the livewell pump got brittle and broke off.

Yeah the same thing happened to me, luckily I had the valve in place to shut it off.  Took us a while to figure out what the heck was causing it though.

Yes I fully agree. The seacock is on the other side of the pump view. Along with checking the oil & batteries, inspect shut off valves,hoses & connections. Open & close valves to keep clean & working. For this boat we had to replace it becouse it was stuck open. We want no sinking ships!

I know this is a boring topick but ive seen so many ded wells and stuck/ missing shut off vaves thought it was worthy of a kik arround.

I've tried the scoop strainer/ high speed pick up for bottom of boat location worked great. No more clogs & the well fills by itself while under way, if you dont shut the valve off.

So for the live well geek (s) comparison (& thoes wondering about the best placement for a hole in a perfectly good boat). I was curious about the transum pickup mod device. Both up grades restored the suction & clog issues but is there a positive flow created when under way with the transum option? Thanks for any input.

post-218585-0-96753700-1441377380_thumb.jpg

This is not a boring topic. You all have contributed with great info and I've learned a lot about my live well situation. I've gotten rid of the kink in the hose buy installing an elbow. Next will be a hi speed pick up and replacing my shut off valve (for maintenance reasons). I'm even considering mounting the live well pump directly to the shut off valve.