thien

Schooling Reds And A New Camera!

The morning started out with some action with my topwater. I'd get redfish coming out from the water to hit my lure, but they wouldn't commit. My buddy Alan, however, caught 2 reds--one undersold and one at 24 with a Zman. Low tide was at 10:15 and I knew exactly where the reds would be.

We moved to the spot Alan found a couple of tailers--caught one at 26. I get to the spot and anchor up, casting to these extra spooky fish. I cast my Zman out, leading a moving wake--WHAM! Sweet hit and run! BUT...my braid breaks  :angry: Must've been a knick on my braid. Cast to another fish and WHAM! It hit, but then the hook pulled. 

Aiming for a few tailers was nice, but I wanted the large school I've been on for the past month. I get back on my kayak and start searching intently for the school. Seeing nothing for 30 minutes, we get a bit discouraged. I suggested that we move up a few hundred yards. Alan went up ahead and started yelling. He catches a red from the school and I begin a LONG chase. Having finally caught up to the school, I hook up to a sweet red. I set that rod down and throw out my topwater to the leading fish. A few twitches and WHAM! Double hook up!! My excitement was short-lived after 30 seconds, as the fish pulled off my spook jr. It's probably about time I change out my rusted and bent hooks, huh? lol. Oh well...still had a nice red on my other rod. 

The rest of the morning was filled with an hour of intense overslot schooling reds action. I only caught a couple from the school because I kept trying to mess around with my topwater. The reds would also hit my plastic and constantly miss. Oh well...that's fishing.

I do wonder: do reds stop to tail after pushing? In other words, do pushing reds necessarily mean tailing reds to follow? I ask because I noticed a pod of reds stopping to tail after they were pushing for a bit. I didn't wait long enough to determine whether this is a rule though. I've only ever seen reds suddenly tail...but never push and then tail. I've never waited long enough and always chased after pushing reds.

I also brought my Sony a6000 mirrorless camera to take some pics. Drastic difference between that and the GoPro!! Enjoy the pics!

post-218326-0-41454200-1441374339_thumb.jpg

post-218326-0-85901600-1441374377_thumb.jpg

post-218326-0-86838000-1441374404_thumb.jpg

post-218326-0-74435300-1441374434_thumb.jpg

Hi T ,I just put some new J-hooks on my spook jr. they seem to work just fine . I get back to Florida Tuesday nite  late . I'll let you know Wensday what type and size if you still need to know.

Barry, what circle should I get?

T, for the size fish you catch I would probably use a 3/0 but that's just my opinion.  Hopefully, Rick (Intimigator) will see this thread.  He's been doing this for years and is the first person I know who does it.

The biggest key in my opinion with fishing reds in any form is to become ultra patient. You can see a push and never see a tail... Cast at a push and never get a hookset. Cast at a tailer and get refused or spook them. Reds that are on the move tend to be on a mission to get to an area that holds their food choice... Reds that are slowly moling around in search of the food they desire are the ones that will usually tail on that food (shallow or deep) and they are the ones that eat hard! Cruising reds are not easy. Slower (curious) reds are more than willing to do what it takes to hammer stuff.

Oh and change your hooks more often than you think! Even if they are not bent, rusty, etc... They could just be super dull.

Usually when a red is hooked, it's a done deal.

Phil, thanks for answering my question!! Patience is probably one of the factors that is difficult for me to display when I'm fishing for schooling reds! It'll probably get easier the more I do this, hopefully!

Phil, thanks for answering my question!! Patience is probably one of the factors that is difficult for me to display when I'm fishing for schooling reds! It'll probably get easier the more I do this, hopefully!

It is so hard to not throw at a school when you first see it, or a fat push of reds... But redfish are truly pretty dumb fish and most always come right back. Chasing a school is sensless. They were on that spot for a reason.... Food. I always try to wait to see which direction they are facing/heading when tailing, or if they are slowly heading in a direction while stopping to tail along the way... Also, you really want to position yourself to where they are facing you. You are doing great man! Just keep it up. The more you see, the more you will learn. You really want to do something that causes you to "watch and learn"? Leave the fishing poles in the truck! Go out and find them, see how you can get close to them and what they do when they sense you. That way you have no choice but to be paitient haha.