bigduke

Fluorocarbon.

I was wondering how may of you fish straight fluorocarbon, rather than Braid to Fluorocarbon.  For that matter any of you fish mono anymore.  I am talking mostly for inshore purposes.  Lately I have been asking myself why I don't just spool up a reel full of straight Fluoro instead of dealing with the braid to line knots.  Any thoughts.  Fluoro is a lot cheaper for me than braid so I might try it.

I've tried straight fluorocarbon when I used to fish for stripers back in California. Bass fishermen would also use this method. Honestly not the best option, as fluoro is stiff and heavy--you won't be able to cast as far and might have to deal with line memory, which could get pretty bad.

I wouldn't do it again.

I have it on three casting rods. Flat, not pistol grips. I use them for dock fishing in the winter. The top 100' of the line is 20lb fluorocarbon and I do not use leaders most of the time. If I do it is thirty lb same make, same color.

It handles the rough structure way better. And it does not have the memory of regular mono either. But to tell you the truth I still use regular mono for a lot of stuff. Trolling for sure.

I switch to mono on my spin reels for winter reds. I use the 8lb spider wire, double surgeon, to 15lb flouro. Mainly because I'm cheap and they need to be reloaded by the end of summer. That being said I think I get more strikes, this could all be a fabrication of my mind, but I think it's clear, floats, and is less apt to spook fish if you line one.

Fluorocarbon line and fluorocarbon leader are not the same. Leader material is more abrasive resistant. That said if fishing open water the fluorocarbon line can be used as leader.

Personally I can make 30% longer casts with braid.

For reds that's a must

CATCHUM UP!!!!!!!!!!!