Sign in to follow this  
crboggs

Stuck My First Poon On Fly...

I really should have posted this before Phil's epic report, but sat on it for a few weeks... :ph34r:

myfirsttarpon.jpg

We've been fishing exclusively fly and exclusively for juvenile tarpon in the backwaters for the past 6-8 weeks.  We're talking hundreds of casts and dozens of hours poling in pursuit of the little bastards.

A few Sundays ago I had one roll about 40' off the nose of the boat and I dropped a gurgler on his face.  

I stripped it twice, he took a swipe at it and missed, I stripped it again and he inhaled it, I felt weight and crossed his eyes with a hard strip strike.

Hilarity ensued for the next 30 seconds as I tried to clear my line and keep him hooked up until I had him on the reel and could fight him.  As I was doing this, Ken is up on the poling platform screaming "Strip it!  Set it!".  

My knees were shaking and my heart was in my throat.  We were in relatively shallow water (2-3') so he didn't jump more than 3-4 times, but he hugged the bottom and tried to run circles around the boat.  Ken had to follow him around and stomp on the deck when he tried to run under or around the power pole.

I was using an 8wt and 20# leader so it was 15-20 minutes around and behind the boat before Ken leadered him and got his hands on him for an official release.

We figure he was about 20-25#.  Beautiful fish and a hell of a challenge.

Coolest thing I've ever done on the water by far...sight casting a rolling tarpon with a topwater fly...seriously?  The only thing left is to catch more and larger ones...

Sweet man, Congrats!

Remember you don't always need to get a fish onto the reel... Most juvi poons can be stripped in as they allow, just make sure you "give some" when he surges.. Haha

Nice work dude!

Yeah man, I know...but what would you do if you had a Tibor that needed a good workout?  *lol*

And he was pushing 25 pounds...well outside of Poonfecta range...so I didn't wanna try fighting him by hand.   ;)