Sign in to follow this  
ufsnookangler

First Post In A While...

I haven't posted in a while but I've been having some luck at pass-a-grille beach in St Petersburg. This is the report from my latest trip.

Time: 5:45am – 6:30am

Target: Snook

Catch: Redfish(1), Ladyfish

Tide: Outgoing

Lures: Red and White Clouser Minnow (fly)

Action: No snook this trip but there were plenty swimming around. This trip I used a clouser minnow (fly with lead eyes to get it down in the water column) to increase my chances of hooking up with a snook by getting below the ladyfish that were hanging out higher in the water column. I am new to fly fishing but I think beach fishing is a great way to get acquainted with saltwater fly fishing. I know there are fish around and I don’t have to make a 100 ft cast and land the fly perfectly on the fish’s nose. I would cast up tide and let the fly come drift back to where the fish were hanging out. As the fly drifted with the tide I kept the line tight and gave a short sharp strip every so often to make the fly hop. After some hook ups with ladyfish I was able to hook up with a smaller redfish ( first on a fly ).This is the second redfish I’ve landed at this spot. Its good to know that reds are around and they seem to be a little less snooty about taking an artificial lure. On a previous trip I caught a redfish on a D.O.A 3” shad tail in glow with a white ¼ oz jig head.

The action at st pete beach has been pretty good especially pre-dawn around the tide changes. If you are looking for some snook before they head off the beach i recommend checking out this area.

If you want to see posts from my previous outings please check out my blog at www.linesidelogic.com

post-207328-0-11430800-1443487204_thumb.jpg