codys

Starting Over Again

What's up TOF? So I got stationed in Colorado and I've been fly fishing hard in my off time. Fishing out here in the mountains is not even close to fishing the flats lol. Almost all my trips have been skunks but I'm learning, it feels like I have never fished before and I'm just starting but it's awesome here. Last weekend I gave up on the streams and tried something I know a little about, fishing roadside ditches. I used to catch carp near my family's house in upstate New York but forgot how fun they were. I pull up to this ditch/canal on the side of the road and it's about 3ft deep and murky. I walk about a half mile down the ditch and see a massive grass carp. I throw my fly, a tiny floating fly I had just bought right on top of it. The beast looks at it for a second before gulping it up. I immediately set the hook, this thing blasted off and broke my leader in like half a second. I was pretty pumped though knowing there's fish that size here now. I work my way farther down and spook a couple more giant grass carp but didn't get any more shots at fish.

I get back in my car and scope out some ponds on my phone. I find one right down the street from where I'm at and head there. It's pretty shallow but I see some activity on the water and then I see some tails! I thought I was trippin but nope there are tailing carp all over this shallow part of the pond, good sized too. Using the same floating fly I take shots at the fish but keep spooking them. It's exactly like sight fishing tailing reds back home. Finally after an hour or so of fishing them I get one to take my fly. I had to cast way ahead of it and just let the fly sit there for like 5 min until the fish made it's way to it. When the fish got near it I barely moved the fly to get the carps attention and it ate. Like I said these things are exactly like redfish and I think they fight harder than reds on fly...

post-163435-0-92820500-1443744360_thumb.jpg

I release and try to get another. I guess catching that one got them fired up because I make a cast at one cruising right in front of me and get hit right away. I catch a couple more smaller fish after that before calling it a day. Really pumped I got some fish on fly here. This weekend I'm going to scout some streams in ponds in the Rockies for trout.

If anyone on here has experience fly fishing out here hit me up! I think I need to get new setup because my 8wt is kinda heavy for fishing streams. Anyways here's a few cool pics of some of my trips where I gave up on the fish and went exploring lol...

post-163435-0-68329600-1443744852_thumb.jpg

post-163435-0-26403300-1443744901_thumb.jpg

post-163435-0-03946300-1443744963_thumb.jpg

Nice Cody.  I have a feeling you'll be just fine rippin lips up in the mountains, and pretty soon you'll get on some fatty trout.  But for the love of god, please, please don't be content catching three inch browns and rainbows.  And like I said, go for those pike!

Outstanding Cody. It sounds like your making the best of it. You need to do some skiing this winter.

Are you down at Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs? Before I went into the Air Force, I lived in Colorado for 3 years. Half of that time was in Colorado Springs. There is a lot to keep you busy.