FlatsFishing813

Gheenoe Issues

So.... I took my gheenoe out today and noticed that the rear of my boat had about 1" - 1 1/2" of standing water in it....I can't tell yet if I may have a crack in the fiberglass or if it's something else like a loose drain plug or something...the reason I can't tell if there's a leak in the hull is because I have a false floor which covers the interior of the boat, along with raised decks....I'm going to keep an eye on it, but already know I'd like to have some work done to the boat in the near future to improve it's appearance, such as sanding, painting and/or gel coating.  I figure once the paint is all of it and it's down to the fiberglass, we should be able to see whether or not there is a problem with the fiberglass, and if so, get it fixed up.  

Does anyone on this forum have experience sanding, painting (and possibly gel coating) gheenoes?  And of course, doing fiberglass repair?  If so, and you can help me with the project, then please give me an estimate on what you'd charge.  My boat is an older 15'6" gheenoe classic.  Right now, I'm trying to gather the information and see what the cost of something like this would be for me?  Feel free to PM me.  

Man that sucks!! It could be a few different issues, but all need to be addressed. I have a guy that can put you in touch with dealing with your needs for sure. Not sure of price; but "cheap" is not the way to look at things in life. "Done right" is...

I also have an older 15'6" Gheenoe. I punched a couple of holes in it in a local river. My fault, running 32 mph, hit a small stump right at the water level, raised the boat up, then came down on another stump. Thank goodness for a large bilge pump.

My son patched it (former surfer so he had some glass experience) and it was less than 20 bucks.

When I bought mine I sanded it with 600 and 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

I like camo, so I spray painted it with 4 different colors of Rustoleum camo and used no gel coat. It's great as when you scratch it up on docks, mangroves, sticks, etc just let it dry and whip out the Rustoleum. I asked Pugar Gheene at Custom Gheenoe about this and he said no problem.

Most guys probably think that is sacreligeous but to me the boat is just a tool. Pretty is as pretty does.

I'm sure if you checked out Customgheenoe.com somebody will offer some advice. Bunch of good guys over there.

Those boats are very light weight. I would just remove the motor and have someone help you flip the boat over to check out the bottom of the hull for any big cracks or holes. I will just go ahead and replace the plug be they are cheap. Who knows, maybe the seal on the plug is rotted. Keep us posted on the outcome.