Sign in to follow this  
preacher2go

Green Key 10/9 Mackerel

Beautiful day on the water today, light wind, strong current flow, clear water. Trout were hitting better... managed 9 in 2 hours. Just 1 nuisance hard head catfish, a big ladyfish going bananas, and a nice 20" Spanish mackerel for the table. Trout all released to grow some more.

post-215740-0-99559200-1444436088_thumb.jpg

Nice Report!  You may not remember me, but I believe I had kayak fished with you once before at Anclote last year (it was just a random thing - we both just happened to be out there fishing in our own kayaks and after we greeted each other, we both realized we were members of TOF).

Yup. Late fall and winter at Anclote is fantastic for wade fishing trout at Anclote. January 2014 had one week that mackerel bite was a true "mac attack". Macs were biting anything shiny or identifiable- swivels, split shot, bare hooks - and if you didn't have a wire leader or some heavy mono or fluoro, you donate terminal tackle to the horde.

Funny story:

When I went out Friday morning I told my wife that if I caught a limit on trout, I would set down my fishing gear and not fish for 2 weeks, and give her the 4-6 hours a day of undivided attention. While on the water I received a phone call from a Salvation officer that I was being deployed as a member of an ESC (Crisis Counseling) team to South Carolina for 2 weeks. S no fishing for 2 weeks, but my wife just gets a phone call once a day. The previous week I was in Philadelphia on a Salvation Army Logistics team supporting law enforcement and emergency personnel for the pope's visit. So my login handle "preacher2go" describes my on-call activities as a disaster crisis counselor.