fishinchick

My First Slam

Ty and I put in at 6:00 a.m. in Ozello, way before sunrise.  7 mph wind and high tide and we headed to an area on the outside that we wanted to explore.  Got my first small trout (14 inches) on topwater at 6:30 and then not long after that, around 7:00, and in the exact same spot, I caught my first decent sized Snook (25.5 inches) on topwater, too.  We roamed around and explored a bit and then I caught my third fish, a 21 inch red, but this one was on a shrimp and circle hook.  It's a nice feeling to out-fish my husband once in a while  :)  Not sure if the pictures will load correctly, though.  Great Day !!

post-215729-0-33546300-1444600883_thumb.jpg

post-215729-0-70080300-1444600941_thumb.jpg

post-215729-0-22157800-1444601014_thumb.jpg

post-215729-0-29928800-1444601086_thumb.jpg

The peddle drive does quite well in the shallows, actually.  The prop doesn't stick down as far as you would think.  On a rare occasion I'll have to pull up the drive and paddle but not very often.  It is a bit of a learning curve with a few of the hazards but I love that I don't have to stress about paddling back to a launch site when the wind is stronger than I am.

Yes, Jox -

I'm the one who went through separation anxiety with my live shrimp!  However, it was my goal in 2015 to wean myself off of live shrimp and practice with some artificials.  A friend of mine is a kayak fishing guide up here and he challenged me to try a topwater lure one day so I talked a girlfriend into devoting a day of "Topwater Time" and after I caught my first redfish on topwater, I was hooked!!  That day she caught a trout and snook and I caught the red all within 50 yards of the same place and within an hour.  It was pretty awesome for us girls new to topwater.  But I'm addicted to those things now.  What a rush!

Congrats, D !! WTG

Thought you guy's would have fished the new flat.

post-165625-0-96354200-1444930971_thumb.jpg

Thought I see your truck but wasn't sure, did you guy's use the trailer? Can't remember if one was attached to the white truck I seen.

If you guy's have a cast net I'll share a live bait spot, much better then feeding the pin's your shrimp. FYI, the puffers own the oyster bars as of late so bring lot's of soft plastics.  

That is a great pic, Paul!  That truck looks a lot like mine but we weren't out there that day but heard about it from friends and your pic confirms the reports.  Craziness, I tell you!  I just bought a cast net and have to practice with it.  I want to learn how to throw it.  My brother is really good at it and I want to show him that I've learned how to do it, too.

I will Paul & thank you.  I found a really easy YouTube video to learn from and I threw it a few times in my back yard this evening.  I think with a little practice, I should get the hang of it.  Pam, you bringing the net up next weekend?  I'm still not sure where I'll be then.  I'm volunteering at the CCA Banquet this Saturday and still have a ton of work to do for the fund-raiser...time is running out....LOL

Just stumbled across your post, Delores.  Congrats on the slam and glad you're getting into topwater.  Lately, with the cooler temps., I've been hitting the water a bit later around 1st light.  Got a few nice reds and a big snook near the mouth of the St. Martins last week.  Should be a great month of fishing ahead.  I think the folks with the Tampa kayak fishing group will be up here next weekend.  They're a good group and I think they'll be fishing out of Ozello.  Hope to meet up with some of them Sat or Sunday.  They usually stop at Pecks for lunch after a morning on the water.

I'm up to 45 new members with the kayak fishing group but only 3 have shown up for my first 2 club meet-ups.  Will have to try finding a meeting room somewhere, but will also try to schedule more fishing trips.  Will see what happens with the group.  I enjoy fishing alone so it's no biggee if things don't work out.   

Gary

Nature Coast Kayak Fishers

http://fishingkayaks.us