fishinchick

Thanks St. Paul

Thanks Paul for the cast net throwing lesson this morning, of which clearly I need more practice...Thanks for sharing your bait with me...Thanks for helping me look for my keys, only to find that they were in my ignition the whole time...Thanks for jumping my car battery because I left my headlights on too long without my engine running...Thanks for the baggie of....well...you know.....Thanks for letting me catch the first fish of the day....Thanks for keeping in touch with me through out the day.  Sorry I had to split a little early....Trick-or-Treaters coming, you know....and I had to fillet a redfish & shower before all of those kids start ringing doorbells.  Most of all - Thanks for your patience with me today.  You've earned your sainthood today, my friend  !!!!

- who else wants to go fishing with me  ???   LOL -

Your welcome, D

We all know that every fishing trip comes with it's own little adventure, and this one was no exception. The process towards the goal is all part of the game, I enjoyed it. Thank you for the opportunity and the willingness to learn. 

You did good with the net, with just a little tweaking your bait wells will be full in no time, I have no doubt. The Key thing was funny in the end, am sure you were stressing though did not reveal it remaining calm on the outside, shows character.

Just seen the ST. Paul thing....funny Gal...lol

PS: I'd fish with you anytime!

Well Tammy - my upper body didn't take on too much damage.  Once I realized I didn't throw so well as I was hoping, I sort of just gave up on it for the day and focused on what I knew I could do - catch fish with a rod and reel.  Because I'm short, my shoulders got a bit sore because I feel like I have to lift the net higher than average size person would. But I don't discourage that easily.  I'll keep on plugging away at it

Am sure you know this, D, but maybe need to hear it. There is no need to hold or lift the net any higher then what is comfortable for you (unless going for quick distance). It's all in the technique that you will have mastered in no time. If the weight feels a bit much, twist your upper body to help with the momentum. 

Have an idea if you'd like, get Ty to film you so you can see what is going on and make the necessary changes. Just remember, the gathered weights keep slightly higher than the others and hold that release line just a second after your toss. With a larger net the release will be a bit longer allowing the front part to get some distance from you before letting go completely.

Am no pro but if ever you have questions, I'll do my best to help. Now it's your turn to get the bait because the fishes are hungry :-)

You're right, Paul.  I think I'm trying "too hard" and just not relaxing enough.  It's all part of getting comfortable with the process.  The video is an EXCELLENT idea...I love that!!!  Thanks for sharing that.  You really were a great teacher and I got a better idea of what it should look like.  Rest Assured, I'll be working on it every day....sort of like "home-work" for me.  And I'm taking it up to Yankeetown this weekend so I'll try it again around the water.  You're sort of my mentor now because Ty doesn't throw a cast net. 

The student will soon become the teacher and take Ty under her wing. After which taking on a much larger class by teaching NCLA members. Yes folks, it does come full circle....see what what happened there, I know, a bit cheesy but more than likely becoming reality.

Bring your homework with you as I'll be at Yankeetown also (thank you for the invite). When you feel comfortable and are happy with your throw results I'll teach you how to chuck it fast and low. This will certainly put some hurt on your upper body till you build muscle memory. Not trying to hurt you, just help you.....in this, with pain there is gain lol

FYI, we have a front coming in.....should be here Sunday bringing high winds.

Well - both of those comments are fears of mine.  I did catch a few mangrove bushes as Paul can attest to.  He witnessed it.  And he encouraged me to keep trying but once people started gathering around I stopped because if it's one thing I hate when I'm learning something new, it's an audience!

Thanks Paul for the cast net throwing lesson this morning, of which clearly I need more practice...Thanks for sharing your bait with me...Thanks for helping me look for my keys, only to find that they were in my ignition the whole time...Thanks for jumping my car battery because I left my headlights on too long without my engine running...Thanks for the baggie of....well...you know.....Thanks for letting me catch the first fish of the day....Thanks for keeping in touch with me through out the day.  Sorry I had to split a little early....Trick-or-Treaters coming, you know....and I had to fillet a redfish & shower before all of those kids start ringing doorbells.  Most of all - Thanks for your patience with me today.  You've earned your sainthood today, my friend  !!!!

- who else wants to go fishing with me  ???   LOL -

Throwing a cast net takes practice. way to go on learning how to do it!

Well, after a few failed attempts mentioned above, and with a little advice from "St." Paul, I made a couple of adjustments and threw my net Tuesday morning and managed to round up a few silver thingies.  I believe Paul called them Greenbacks.  I wasn't throwing at any target, just a blind throw to see if I could get the net to open up good and I got a total of 5 from two throws.  It was really fun.

post-215729-0-10685200-1447289919_thumb.jpg

post-215729-0-33986600-1447290037_thumb.jpg